Do I need science prerequisites to enter Medical School in Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JOHN!

MD - CHRIST WITHIN ME CHRIST BEFORE ME
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was hoping someone with knowledge of international MD schools could help me. I was interested in potentially applying for Medical School in Australia specifically Queensland. If I could score a 30+ on the MCAT with virtually no science academic background, could I still be legitimately considered for admission. Thank you

About myself, I‘m in my late twenties and own my own business. My undergrad gpa is around a 2.7 due to extremely depressing reasons that took while I was in college. Looking to go international because I don’t want to spend years improving my gpa. Any advice will help, thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Out of curiosity, did you see this?

Why do you think that you can handle medical school?

The MCAT is no longer scored on a two-digit scale; the exam has been revised since then. A 500 score is 50th %ile.

Note what Queensland has to say:
If you are applying prior to the prerequisites discussed above, and have not completed a science, biomedical science or health sciences degree, we recommend that you enroll in some biomedical science subjects. This will ensure you are adequately prepare for the medical program.

Reactions: 1 users
Out of curiosity, did you see this?

Why do you think that you can handle medical school?

The MCAT is no longer scored on a two-digit scale; the exam has been revised since then. A 500 score is 50th %ile.

Note what Queensland has to say:
If you are applying prior to the prerequisites discussed above, and have not completed a science, biomedical science or health sciences degree, we recommend that you enroll in some biomedical science subjects. This will ensure you are adequately prepare for the medical program.

Hello Goro! Thank you for responding and for the information! I know that there are a few Medical Schools in the USA that say they do not require particular classes but I wouldn’t be surprised given the incredible competition, if those applicants by in large get rejected. I was wondering if it was the same for Australian Med Schools. I’ve been looking into some Caribbean ‍☠️ Med Schools also.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Goro! Thank you for responding and for the information! I know that there are a few Medical Schools in the USA that say they do not require particular classes but I wouldn’t be surprised given the incredible competition, if those applicants by in large get rejected. I was wondering if it was the same for Australian Med Schools. I’ve been looking into some Caribbean ‍☠ Med Schools also.
Even the big 3 caribbean schools require most the same pre-reqs as US schools. I think SGU has a 6 year bachelors-MD program but in those 2 years you could've just saved tens of thousands of dollars doing pre-reqs in the states.

Hello Goro! Thank you for responding and for the information! I know that there are a few Medical Schools in the USA that say they do not require particular classes but I wouldn’t be surprised given the incredible competition, if those applicants by in large get rejected. I was wondering if it was the same for Australian Med Schools. I’ve been looking into some Caribbean ‍☠️ Med Schools also.
Shortcuts into Medical School means not being a doctor.

That's because There are no shortcuts. If you want to be a doctor, you have to earn it.

The Caribbean schools will be only too happy to take your money and then fail you out.

And not only do you need the prereqs as preparation for the rigors of a medical school curriculum, you also need them for the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users