Do I need statistics for premed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roxlo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far I've taken Pre-Calc and Calc I. Is that enough for pre-med or should I also take statistics?

Members don't see this ad.

I would take it Roxlo. Some schools like that you take Stats and I think there are some that require it. Check to see if your PreCalc class counts as a premed requirement too.

I'm noticing a bunch of schools are now asking for a year of college math. I don't know if you're on the quarter system, but if you are, 3 quarters makes a year, so take the Stats class. Plus, if you think you'll do well, it can boost your science GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools require semester of statistics, and few that require Calc II can replace it with statistics class.

Take it. If there is one college class useful for the real world, it is statistics. As for pre reqs, it can almost always substitute for calc 2, a lot of schools are moving towards a year of math, and a lot of schools are moving to require stats. It may not be a requirement now at too many places but I bet in the next three or four years it will be.

Alright, thanks guys. I should do pretty well, but was just wondering if it was a good idea. Looks like it is, thanks

1) Some schools care about it and a few actually require it. So yes, you should take it

2) Statistics is easily the most neglected subject in medical school, at least at my school. It's on the boards, it's important for understanding new treatments even if you never do research, and it's taught over (at best) half a dozen classes. I almost never say this, but you should take it for the sake of your education.

Statistics > Calculus. :cool: I took stats and advanced stats through the psych department. Same thing as the classes through the math department. I wasn't thinking about medicine so I went through my peoples department, but now that I think about it, I would've taken it through the math department so it would've counted towards my BCMP. :( Anyways, having a basic/advanced understanding of stats will actually come in handy, more so than calculus. If you ever find yourself in a situation where research results are being discussed or handed to you, you won't stand there with a blank look on your face wondering what is significant, what is power, p = 0.45 wtf is that? Take stats. ;)

Hey,
I just looked into it. Some schools req calc2, so you might need to take it.

I didn't take stats and did fine in the cycle although I understand other people's suggestions for why to take it. What I did was say I was planning on taking it second semester on my apps, then waited to see if I got secondaries/interviews from the schools that required it, which weren't many. of all the schools I applied to, only UC Davis wanted all their requirements finished by January, the rest were fine as long as you finished before you graduated. I ended up not getting interviews from any that required it until I was already accepted by schools that didn't require it and I liked better, so I never actually had to take it. Of course that would only apply if you were applying during your senior year.

http://xkcd.com/552

If you can make it work with your schedule I would advise it. You will see it again in med school and on every board exam for the rest of your career. Also, it helps you not look like an idiot when you research and you can be much more valuable to your research team (ie run more data and not be asking the PI to do it for you). both in undergrad and in the future

More and more schools are "recommending" it, just like they are "recommending" biochem. Some schools require a year worth of math, which statistics would count towards. Just take the course. It'll help you in all scientific manners.

Agreed with the others, DEFINITELY go out of your way to take stats, if you can. It will help you a lot with interpreting research and appreciating it fully.