Do I need stellar essays?

TinyBaer1

2+ Year Member
May 28, 2017
    I keep hearing that it's worse for a strong application to have bad essays than for it to be improved by extremely memorable essays. However, I don't have a strong application (low gpa, high MCAT). Should I make sure that my essays are stellar? (or just focus on making my entire application cohesive?) In general, how do I convince adcoms that I'm a worthy applicant to interview?

MedSchoolTutors

Top MCAT/USMLE/COMLEX Tutors Answer Your Questions
    Vendor
    2+ Year Member
    Apr 25, 2019
    www.medschooltutors.com
    1. Medical Student
    2. Resident [Any Field]
    3. Attending Physician
      Be well rounded, write good essays, and explain how you overcame your weaknesses. If you got a C in Bio, talk about how you got better and crushed it on the MCAT.

Good writing will help, but it's ultimately the rest of your resume that gets you the interview.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
      Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user

GreenDuck12

7+ Year Member
      Mar 30, 2014
      1. Medical Student
        Your personal statement is the biggest space you have in your written application to convey who you are and why you want to pursue a career in medicine. Strong personal statements are well written and go deeper than stating they “want to help sick people.” Start with wanting to help people and then go deeper: why do you want to help people, what skills do you have that will make you a successful physician, what are you goals in medicine and what impact do you want your work to have, etc. if you can tell your story and delve into the heart of the reasons for why you want to be a physician, you will have put your best foot forward and it’s up to the committee to determine if they want to get to know you further through an interview.

There is a false notion that goes around on forums that a personal statement needs to be memorable. Remember, admissions committees will read thousands of these. Adcom members have highlighted on here that maybe 3-5% of essays are memorable for good reasons, 5-10% are memorable for bad reasons, and the rest tend to be forgettable. Your goal is to best present your story and to avoid being in the bottom percentage of essays that are memorable for being bad or problematic.

• Love
        Reactions: 3 users
        About the Ads

Goro

10+ Year Member
        Verified Expert
        Silver Member
        Gold Member
        Jun 11, 2010
        Somewhere west of St. Louis
        1. Non-Student
          I keep hearing that it's worse for a strong application to have bad essays than for it to be improved by extremely memorable essays. However, I don't have a strong application (low gpa, high MCAT). Should I make sure that my essays are stellar? (or just focus on making my entire application cohesive?) In general, how do I convince adcoms that I'm a worthy applicant to interview?
          You should always strive to have good essays. But please do thin indulge int he fantasy that they have magical powers. they don't. Most of them are pretty much are the same, and all gel after awhile.

Service to others less fortunate than yourself is better.

How low is your cGPA? On SDN, too many people think 3.6 is low.

Reactions: 1 user

Goro

10+ Year Member
          Verified Expert
          Silver Member
          Gold Member
          Jun 11, 2010
          Somewhere west of St. Louis
          1. Non-Student
            @Goro Thanks! My AMCAS cGPA is 3.5, sGPA 3.3X.. top undergrad that I think was too difficult for me until I figured out how to study if that matters.

Is it true that a strong application is one that's cohesive? I feel like I have a lot of randomish activities because I was looking for on-campus employment during the school year.
            You're fine for DO right now.

It's hard to answer your question without seeing your app. But good applicant tend to weave a story

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.