Do I need to answer this prompt from UToledo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

viralhiker

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
The optional prompt is: "If you feel you have any aspects of your record that may potentially negatively influence your application to our medical school, we encourage you to use this space to discuss them in order to provide the admissions committee with further context about your application. (Examples of possible topics include MCAT scores lower than our class average, low grades, withdrawn course, institutional action/student conduct violation.)"

I was on academic probation following a pretty terrible semester sophomore year. I rebounded rather well, however, and my grades are up to snuff now. I had to address the IA in the primary essay, and I also wanted to use this whole experience (my transition to college that led me to academic probation) as part of Toledo's required resiliency essay.

I would like to leave this optional essay blank, as I specifically addressed the IA already, and wish to discuss the topic in my resiliency essay. Is that a wise decision?

Members don't see this ad.

If it is indeed “optional” and you have already covered the issue, I think you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Wait, you addressed an IA in your personal statement? Or in a separate space on your primary application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, you addressed an IA in your personal statement? Or in a separate space on your primary application?
Sorry, I should've been more clear. When you check the box on your primary application stating that you have received an institutional action, you are given 1325 characters to explain it. That's what I was referring to.

Whew! If your IA has already been addressed, drawing more attention to it again in the secondary would not be to your advantage.