Do I need to apply for a back up specialty next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The number of unmatched USMDs has me really worried. I'm gung ho on psych and absolutely hate FM, worked hard all throughout med school to avoid it, but I'm wondering if I need to apply for a back up. I can tolerate anesthesia and PMR, but without specific letters in those fields, I feel like FM is my only back up option.

I'm a DO with a low 240s, solid evals, a good personal statement. I'm going to do a few sub-i's to hopefully get some solid letters to apply with too. But is the match in psych just too much of a roll of the dice these days to assume I'll get in? Do I really need to apply FM or something else?

Members don't see this ad.

The number of unmatched USMDs has me really worried. I'm gung ho on psych and absolutely hate FM, worked hard all throughout med school to avoid it, but I'm wondering if I need to apply for a back up. I can tolerate anesthesia and PMR, but without specific letters in those fields, I feel like FM is my only back up option.

I'm a DO with a low 240s, solid evals, a good personal statement. I'm going to do a few sub-i's to hopefully get some solid letters to apply with too. But is the match in psych just too much of a roll of the dice these days to assume I'll get in? Do I really need to apply FM or something else?

Psychiatry is a below average field in terms of competition. You have a very above average step score. You will be fine to match as long as you aren’t too creepy during interview and you apply to more than 10 places. You’re fine, relax.

Reactions: 1 user
With the above being said, I think you should apply broadly and keep as many doors open to matching as possible. This past year was quite different from past years and I expect it to remain slightly volatile. I don't see a reason to apply to more than psych, however, DOs in specific regions (northeast, west coast) are more likely to be shafted compared to their MD counterparts in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
With the above being said, I think you should apply broadly and keep as many doors open to matching as possible. This past year was quite different from past years and I expect it to remain slightly volatile. I don't see a reason to apply to more than psych, however, DOs in specific regions (northeast, west coast) are more likely to be shafted compared to their MD counterparts in my opinion.

Definitely want to stay on the west coast, but planning to apply to 80-90 programs all over the country...really hoping this is enough.

Definitely want to stay on the west coast, but planning to apply to 80-90 programs all over the country...really hoping this is enough.
I hear your apprehension about applying in psychiatry. And a high step score alone does not guarantee you anything. That said, if 0 out of 80-90 programs are interested in what sounds like basically a hard working, high achieving candidate with no red flags...then the pendulum has swung indeed. Bear in mind that people match into psychiatry with more than one attempt on either Step 1 or 2 [raises hand]. Sure, it's getting more competitive. But come on. This isn't plastic surgery.

Some may feel that 80-90 programs is excessive. I applied to about 50, and was told that was excessive. But I wanted to be sure. And I barely slipped in. And you look waaaay better on paper than I ever did. I personally do not believe that 80-90 programs is excessive. It's a lot of money, sure, but sometimes peace of mind (and more importantly, a broader pool of interviews from which to choose) is worth that. Remember, you're ranking them too, not just the other way around.

Reactions: 1 user
I hear your apprehension about applying in psychiatry. And a high step score alone does not guarantee you anything. That said, if 0 out of 80-90 programs are interested in what sounds like basically a hard working, high achieving candidate with no red flags...then the pendulum has swung indeed. Bear in mind that people match into psychiatry with more than one attempt on either Step 1 or 2 [raises hand]. Sure, it's getting more competitive. But come on. This isn't plastic surgery.

Some may feel that 80-90 programs is excessive. I applied to about 50, and was told that was excessive. But I wanted to be sure. And I barely slipped in. And you look waaaay better on paper than I ever did. I personally do not believe that 80-90 programs is excessive. It's a lot of money, sure, but sometimes peace of mind (and more importantly, a broader pool of interviews from which to choose) is worth that. Remember, you're ranking them too, not just the other way around.

Thanks for the encouragement. I guess the whole DO thing is what is really worrying me. If I were applying as an MD I wouldn't be sweating this.

Out of curiosity, how many interviews did you end up with all those apps?

I applied to just under 60 and got my last choice, so I'll +1 that

10 interviews, 9 ranks

So almost 20% return...that seems pretty solid. I imagine if I had 90 applications and 18 interviews, I should be pretty good to match...hopefully it works out for me.

I got 7 interviews. My adviser made me apply to my home institution's FM program after a discussion with the FM program director who was in agreement with the arrangement. I got my 7th choice. One could say that I was something of a spaced out medical student who learned my content just fine, but generally only figured out how things worked after the grades came back in. Ha.

(still happy where I ended up though)

I got 7 interviews. My adviser made me apply to my home institution's FM program after a discussion with the FM program director who was in agreement with the arrangement. I got my 7th choice. One could say that I was something of a spaced out medical student who learned my content just fine, but generally only figured out how things worked after the grades came back in. Ha.

(still happy where I ended up though)

Glad things worked out for you...and thanks for the perspective. Hopefully I'll have similarly good news next year!

Thanks for the encouragement. I guess the whole DO thing is what is really worrying me. If I were applying as an MD I wouldn't be sweating this.

Even with you being a DO, I still think that 80-90 applications is overkill with your stats unless you're just going to apply wherever you want and not research where you're applying to. Realistically, if you actually do your research on where you're applying and don't limit yourself to only the west coast, you should be fine with 50 applications, but I'd probably send out 60 to be safe.

I personally sent out ~75 apps with no USMLE scores, very weak stats, and no research or previous psych experience (in clubs or otherwise). Got 9 interviews and matched to my top choice. I think I was successful for 2 reasons. The first was that I was very realistic about my application and applied pretty broadly and to very few "reaches" (maybe 3). I was surprised that I ended up getting some interviews I definitely didn't expect. The second reason was that I did a few audition rotations and kicked butt. The program I'm entering was one of those places and by the end of the month I had at least 6 residents and 2 attendings e-mail the PD and tell them to interview me in addition to meeting the PD and talking to them myself.

Psych seems to be getting tougher but the door is still wide open for solid applicants who are personable, especially if you play the game properly.

Reactions: 1 users