Do I need to cut my school list down? Any and all feedback is appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GameOfZones

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background:
- 3.8, 515
- CA ORM
- 1.5k hours research (w/poster authorship and a few pub authorships in revision)
- 600 hours scribe
- 150 hours clinical volunteer
- 100 hours nonclinical volunteer
- 100 hours TA
- 50 hours shadowing
- note: no non-science prof LOR, so I can't apply to schools that appear to explicitly require this (like Vermont or Indiana)

School list so far (42 total):

Kaiser
UCR
MC Wisconsin
Tulane
Wayne State
Drexel
Cal Northstate (I know there are concerns with this program, but it's a state school so I might as well throw them in anyways)
UCD
NY Med College
Temple
Colorado
University of Wisconsin
Wake Forest
George Washington
VCU
uConn
CUSM
Georgetown
Thomas Jefferson
Saint Louis
Emory
Einstein
UMass
Iowa
Tufts
USF Morsani
Brown
U Michigan
Ohio State
Cincinnati
UCI
UCLA
UCSD
USC
Rochester
Pittsburgh
UCSF
Boston University
University of Virginia
Stanford
Case Western
NYU

Fortunately, finances aren't a huge concern, and I've already started prewriting the most frequent/common secondaries. I guess I'm wondering whether any of these schools are a hard NO or if the list is too imbalanced. @Goro I know you have helped many with lists, and I'd especially appreciate any thoughts you have. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest

Kaiser
UCR ONLY if you're from the Inland Empire
Tulane
UCD
NY Med College
Temple
Colorado
Wake Forest
VCU
CUSM
Georgetown
Thomas Jefferson
Saint Louis
Emory
Einstein
Tufts
USF Morsani
U Michigan
Ohio State
Cincinnati
UCI
UCLA
UCSD
USC
Rochester
Pittsburgh
UCSF
Boston University
University of Virginia
Case Western

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest

Kaiser
UCR ONLY if you're from the Inland Empire
Tulane
UCD
NY Med College
Temple
Colorado
Wake Forest
VCU
CUSM
Georgetown
Thomas Jefferson
Saint Louis
Emory
Einstein
Tufts
USF Morsani
U Michigan
Ohio State
Cincinnati
UCI
UCLA
UCSD
USC
Rochester
Pittsburgh
UCSF
Boston University
University of Virginia
Case Western

Thanks I really appreciate your help. Not from Inland Empire so will cross off UCR from my list.

Any schools that weren't in the initial list that you'd recommend where I'd stand a decent chance? I'm sure I missed a few.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not under the impression that the following are particularly OOS friendly:

Colorado
University of Wisconsin
uConn
UMass
Iowa
USF Morsani
U Michigan
Ohio State
University of Virginia

You should double check the MSAR before you send them money.

Colorado
University of Wisconsin
uConn
UMass
Iowa
USF Morsani
U Michigan
Ohio State
University of Virginia

If you look at the IS vs OOS interview and matriculation %'s, one gets a sense of who is friendly vs unfriendly. This year, I'm seeing that all of the above except U Conn are worth a crack to stellar candidates, or those form neighboring states. It wasn't always the case and I suspect that these schools realized that they like OOS tuition more than they like exclusively favoring the home team.

Colorado
University of Wisconsin
uConn
UMass
Iowa
USF Morsani
U Michigan
Ohio State
University of Virginia

Appreciate your feedback!

Just to add to Goro's point a little, i did look at the MSAR in deciding those schools. i looked at how many OOS applicants got Interviews, and what percent of those Interviews became matriculants after that.

Like Iowa for instance. 3.5k OOS apps, to around 480 interviews, and then 54 matriculants. Greater than 10% interview percentage for OOS applicants seems solid, and though we dont know how many got accepted and declined offer of admission, > 10% post interview rate is ok i guess.

Or Ohio state: 6.4k OOS apps to 320 interviews, and 100 matriculants. while the OOS II rate drops, post-interview acceptance rate is higher.

From my research, not all schools have the best of both worlds (although a place like St. Louis gets kinda close with 5.9k OOS apps to 810 interviews and 140 matriculants). But this rate comparison technique helped me eliminate places like U Arizona - Phoenix, who had 5k OOS apps to 190 interviews to 31 matriculants.

But St. Louis is a private school. They usually don’t care what state you are from.
Yes, I realize that. St. Louis was just one example to show the favorable ratio. Cincinnati is another example of a school with a decently favorable ratio of OOS apps and IIs, as well as post-II success, and it's public.