Do I need to retake again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

watermelon15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My first attempt I got the following scores :
PAT-17
RC-20
QR-14
BIO-18
OC-18
GC-17
TS-17
AA-17

I retook yesterday and did just slightly better

PAT-21
QR-16
RC-19
BIO-18
GC-19
OC-19
TS-19
AA-18

Do I need to retake again?
I applied this cycle and received 1 post Dec interview from Detroit and am on the wait list. I have a 3.7 overall and science gpa, with meaningful and very decent ECs and volunteering.

No research as of yet, plan on getting started with that this month. Graduated in May 2014 have been working as a Lab scientist since July and also as a dental assistant once a week at the university affiliated pediatric dental clinic. Plan right now is to do a one year nutrition masters.....how does it look?

Advice please on whether I need to retake again. Thanks a bunch.

Members don't see this ad.

When did you apply? Was it late? Because the 16 in QR is really the only red-flag here and I've heard that's the "least important" score to adcomms...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Your gpa is great, while your DAT is slightly below the matriculating average (but it isn't terrible!). As LabCoatAndPearls said, the only thing that is a red flag is your QR. Update your schools and see what happens! You should get some more interviews. If not, however, look into retaking but only if you are going to study really really hard. Because your scores only improved marginally, there's no guarantee that you'll do better the third time. Really take the time to do well.

Your GPa is awesome. I would have figured with that sGPA that your TS would be way higher. What school did you attend? I would think adcoms would look at that and see some disparity.

On the brighter side, I still think you would get some interviews.

Nah. You're probably fine. Apply early and broadly and I could see you getting a few interviews

hey guys, thank you all so much for responding and giving your advice.

I went to University at Buffalo SUNY, and got my B.S in Medical Technology (Lab Science)

Ive Been working since I graduated this past May and between the first attempt on the DAT in september to my second attempt in mid-Jan I also took my Board exam (mid-Nov) to work as licensed lab Professional so I guess I was a bit burned out when it came time to study again for the DAT.

As for materials I used Cliffnotes, Feralis, Bootcamp, Chads, Some qvault for Math and the first 120 questions from Destroyer for Bio.

Between these two attempts I know now that I really need to bring up my Math score.....I guess its time to really take the Destroyer seriously for what its touted for and make the best use out of that...I think thats the best way to increase my score.

@LabCoatAndPearls Also my application was complete by end of October for this cycle...which I know is extremely late, but i just wanted to give myself a shot this cycle since I decided in feb that I wanted to pursue Dentistry

and you're right @H4LfAd1ME i am definitely gonna do everything right this time around....it would be my last chance to too so the pressure is on.

Also if you guys can give your thoughts on whether i should the one year masters?

Thanks again for all the responses!

You might want to reconsider your choice of graduate program.

I dont think you need to do any post-bacc to boost your GPA. Just bolster your application.

I personally would retake but you dont have to. But you're really toe-ing the line.

I honestly believe your luck would have been better if you actually applied in june. There were plenty of people who got accepted with 18AA.

@DentalDoge yeah I'm planning on a retake...I really don't want anything to stress over next cycle

@Faux I wish I had done that, hopefully this time around I'll have better news come december

@DentalDoge yeah I'm planning on a retake...I really don't want anything to stress over next cycle

@Faux I wish I had done that, hopefully this time around I'll have better news come december

Good man. Do that and apply early.

And I think you'll have a much better time.

Just a year off. It really isn't a big deal. Just make the best out of the time. Travel, pick up some fun hobbies. Feel bad for about a day and after that, just take out a piece of paper and write down all the things you want to experience between now and when you start school.