Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
18 Bio
22 Gen Chem
20 Orgo
22 Math
20 RC
20 AA
19 TS

AADSAS GPA: 2.87 (I can bring it up to 3.09 after this year)
What should I do? Retake DAT? Should I do a masters in biotechnology?
I know I have to get my GPA up.

2THDDS

2+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
if you didnt' apply already it would be a long shot to gain admission this year.
DAT seems fine (even though it would have helped if it was higher around 21~22 across the board considering your lowish GPA), so what you would need to do is exactly what you said.
Take some upper level bio/chem classes to boost your GPA (not lower it) and make it at least 3.xx, but higher the better.

It's up to you whether you will do informal post-bach or masters. Just make sure when you take upper level classes, don't go overboard and take too many and risk tanking your GPA even further. Take what you can handle and show them you can ace upper level classes.

Cheers.

Jun 16, 2014
Status
Pre-Podiatry
You need to do a masters. A biotechnology masters would probably not be the best option as it is more research focused.

csudental

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
May 31, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
nope DAT is fine
you need to do a master or post-bac

klnw

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Sep 1, 2014
I would start looking into alternatives to dentistry.

Jan 9, 2014
South Carolina
Status
Pre-Dental
I agree with sjv and others posted. Your DAT isn't your problem, it is right on the average. You will need to work on your GPA to bring it up. Consider doing a masters (according to a admissions staff I've spoken to from UoP, they would like to see you excel in advanced graduate level classes, which will demonstrate your ability to handle classes in dental school).

Feb 13, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
I think your fine give it a shot. I know someone who got into columbia last year with a 2.8 gpa but a 22 aa 21 ts. Some school will take you apply asap!!!

2THDDS

2+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
I think your fine give it a shot. I know someone who got into columbia last year with a 2.8 gpa but a 22 aa 21 ts. Some school will take you apply asap!!!

hm, seems like you went to far with that.
Are you serious? Unless that person was super excellent in all other area other than DAT and GPA, it just doesn't look right.

Feb 13, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
hm, seems like you went to far with that.
Are you serious? Unless that person was super excellent in all other area other than DAT and GPA, it just doesn't look right.
He was hispanic and had an amazing personal essay on he moved to america. Maybe it was that?

2THDDS

2+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Dude you are you kidding me with this advice ? Humble up
he's a known troll here. I don't know why he didn't get banned yet.

Jan 19, 2014
He was hispanic and had an amazing personal essay on he moved to america. Maybe it was that?
Does this not piss anyone else off?? i personally am outraged. I've had personal difficulties too and am also an immigrant. but "hi i'm hispanic." bam you're in! screw me if I'm wrong but it makes me mad.

2THDDS

2+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Does this not piss anyone else off?? i personally am outraged. I've had personal difficulties too and am also an immigrant. but "hi i'm hispanic." bam you're in! screw me if I'm wrong but it makes me mad.
there's nothing that can be done....

Feb 13, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey sorry to hear that. How are your stats? Hope everything is working out alright for you?

virajpatel

5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2013
Status
Dental Student
I am in nearly the same situation as you and extremely nervous. I applied this cycle but my AADSASS GPA has yet to be calculated so just waiting on all that.

Jan 10, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Calm down man. Lol. You think Columbia is gonna accept someone solely based on ethnicity ? He had to be doing something right. Remember that 2.8 GPA could mean 2.2 undergrad and then 4.0 grad or 4.0 for 60 credit hours. You never known. Dont jump so readily to judge someone's performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 19, 2014
Calm down man. Lol. You think Columbia is gonna accept someone solely based on ethnicity ? He had to be doing something right. Remember that 2.8 GPA could mean 2.2 undergrad and then 4.0 grad or 4.0 for 60 credit hours. You never known. Dont jump so readily to judge someone's performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great point. Of course there's no way I could know his personal story. But I still hold a good amount of contempt for this group that takes the seat of other more deserving students. Almost every urm I have ever known even since high school knew that they had their ethnicity to fall back on. I understand it's a broken system, and there's nothing that can be done about it but it's one of those things that really bother me. Don't misunderstand. It has not affected me as I have achieved what I wanted to achieve so far on fair ground. I have multiple interview offers and this was never a spiteful post.

May 22, 2013
Status
Dental Student
no need to retake DAT.. in a perfect world, a really high 20s might make up for your low GPA, but it will be really really hard to get a much higher DAT score considering yours is pretty decent already

grivacobae

Whatascrub
Aug 19, 2013
TEXAS
Status
Pre-Dental
Great point. Of course there's no way I could know his personal story. But I still hold a good amount of contempt for this group that takes the seat of other more deserving students. Almost every urm I have ever known even since high school knew that they had their ethnicity to fall back on. I understand it's a broken system, and there's nothing that can be done about it but it's one of those things that really bother me. Don't misunderstand. It has not affected me as I have achieved what I wanted to achieve so far on fair ground. I have multiple interview offers and this was never a spiteful post.
Then why bring it up if it doesn't affect you? "fall back" isn't what URM provides for people like us, I am working just as hard as the guy next to me, URM or not, and I'm not expecting to thrive on my URM status, but my GPA and entrance exam, along with hard worked for EC's. Don't undermine hard work and success.

Jan 19, 2014
Then why bring it up if it doesn't affect you? "fall back" isn't what URM provides for people like us, I am working just as hard as the guy next to me, URM or not, and I'm not expecting to thrive on my URM status, but my GPA and entrance exam, along with hard worked for EC's. Don't undermine hard work and success.
It does not affect me because I've worked my tail off to put myself in the position to make dental school. I did this while having just as much financial and personal difficulties as the next URM. I never had any advantages that anyone else did. "it doesn't affect me" means I'm not taking this as an excuse to say I didn't make it or that it hurt my chances. But I know for a fact what I had to go through working multiple jobs while taking full class load and commuting everyday morning to night from far away from school that I didn't have it any easier than URM. It's a broken system. I didn't in any way undermine your hard work. Know what? If you did work as hard as you said, then tell me you didn't check the URM box. Because you're on level field apparently with all the rest of the population, and simply the color of your skin shouldn't make a difference. I'm fairly certain you did check the box though because why not right? It can only help you astronomically.

Last edited:
Reactions: DATtestTho
Aug 10, 2012
Status
Dental Student
With that G.P.A. you have two options...1.) Do a post bach program or 2.) Studying your ass off and getting 22+ all across on your DAT. Whichever is easier for you, I would recommend doing. I don't think you have a shot at it this year, so don't waste your application money and time. Its really competitive nowadays, Good Luck!

grivacobae

Whatascrub
Aug 19, 2013
TEXAS
Status
Pre-Dental
It does not affect me because I've worked my tail off to put myself in the position to make dental school. I did this while having just as much financial and personal difficulties as the next URM. I never had any advantages that anyone else did. "it doesn't affect me" means I'm not taking this as an excuse to say I didn't make it or that it hurt my chances. But I know for a fact what I had to go through working multiple jobs while taking full class load and commuting everyday morning to night from far away from school that I didn't have it any easier than URM. It's a broken system. I didn't in any way undermine your hard work. Know what? If you did work as hard as you said, then tell me you didn't check the URM box. Because you're on level field apparently with all the rest of the population, and simply the color of your skin shouldn't make a difference. I'm fairly certain you did check the box though because why not right? It can only help you astronomically.
I don't apply till' next year. So by your assumptions that i'll check it because I am urm, then you too would do the exact same if you were urm, so you're just complaining because you are not, not because the system is "broken". And don't once again assume "IF you did work as hard", same can be assumed about you. So if it's not hurting your chances, why are you demeaning URM applicants saying that that is the reason we are getting accepted? You are at least implying it, as a "fall back". I'm checking because it's part of who I am, Hispanic, male, 20 year old. And If it helps, Awesome! If it didn't, I'm still gonna check Hispanic.

Jan 19, 2014
I don't apply till' next year. So by your assumptions that i'll check it because I am urm, then you too would do the exact same if you were urm, so you're just complaining because you are not, not because the system is "broken". And don't once again assume "IF you did work as hard", same can be assumed about you. So if it's not hurting your chances, why are you demeaning URM applicants saying that that is the reason we are getting accepted? You are at least implying it, as a "fall back". I'm checking because it's part of who I am, Hispanic, male, 20 year old. And If it helps, Awesome! If it didn't, I'm still gonna check Hispanic.
How laughable. Why in the world would I complain that I'm not URM. I've put myself in the position to get accepted just as you have. I don't need to complain about anything. I'm talking about the big picture and the unfairness. You're going to check it because it's "who you are" is precisely the reason why it's broken. Who you are has nothing to do with your social status and the disadvantages you had growing up. A white person who grew up in the slums who worked his ass off with nothing going for him can possibly lose his spot because of "who you are". If you're not actually disadvantaged don't check the box that's SPECIFICALLY for disadvantaged URM. Your ethnicity is definitely something to be proud of Don't get me wrong. However The definition of URM in this context is heavily skewed. And for the rrecord to be completely honest if I were urm from a middle class family and I had the stats I do now, I wouldn't check urm because of "pride". That's a crack of Sht and I would know it

BrazilianRider

5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
How laughable. Why in the world would I complain that I'm not URM. I've put myself in the position to get accepted just as you have. I don't need to complain about anything. I'm talking about the big picture and the unfairness. You're going to check it because it's "who you are" is precisely the reason why it's broken. Who you are has nothing to do with your social status and the disadvantages you had growing up. A white person who grew up in the slums who worked his ass off with nothing going for him can possibly lose his spot because of "who you are". If you're not actually disadvantaged don't check the box that's SPECIFICALLY for disadvantaged URM. Your ethnicity is definitely something to be proud of Don't get me wrong. However The definition of URM in this context is heavily skewed. And for the rrecord to be completely honest if I were urm from a middle class family and I had the stats I do now, I wouldn't check urm because of "pride". That's a crack of Sht and I would know it
There's no "I'm A URM" box, dude. There's just one asking you your ethnicity, that's it.

Reactions: grivacobae