Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Do I need to shadow?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Osteopathic [ DO ]' started by LabDoc33, 09.26.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. LabDoc33

LabDoc33

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys,

So I couldn't find the answer to my question searching, so I figured I would ask all you lovely people.

Do I need to shadow a physician even though I scribe for them in the ED?

I work with 2 DO's who I know will write me solid LOR's as well as some MD's. I'm not applying this cycle, so don't worry about that.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. AlteredScale

AlteredScale Staff Member SDN Moderator 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Scribing should be enough to give you an understanding of what a physician does.

If you decide to pursue more shadowing: I think you should shadow a primary care doc and if possible someone who does procedures (gastroenterology or interventional cardio) and/or a physician in surgery.

It'll just give you a wider perspective of the different lifestyles each doc has in ambulatory vs. non-ambulatory care.

Last edited: 09.26.14
  4. iWillOneDay

iWillOneDay Banned Banned

Pre-Medical
    Then no. As long as you know what DO is all about.
    Scribing is technically better than shadowing anyways.

But, I did both...

5. hawruh

hawruh

Medical Student
    The purpose of shadowing is to gain an understanding of the day-to-day activities/schedule of a physician. Since you have scribed, I think you have seen the docs in action enough to have this understanding. Therefore, I would say shadowing is not necessary for you.

AlteredScale likes this.
  6. IslandStyle808

IslandStyle808 Akuma residency or bust! 2+ Year Member

Plus scribing gives an evaluation tool that physicians can use to describe your work ethic in the letter. This puts your letter one step above the normal shadowing letter.

7. LabDoc33

LabDoc33

Pre-Medical
    I figured this was the answer, but i just wanted some confirmation.

Thanks all.

About the ads