Do I put Dr. ____ or Dr. ___, Psy.D. on bank accounts, passports, etc.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunnyville102

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I just graduated with my Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology. I was wondering if you put Dr. So & So on bank accounts, passports or whenever addressing letters, or is it better to put my name, Psy.D. I am shy about calling myself Dr. on documents, but I'm not sure what others have done after they graduate. Any advice or what your experiences have been like would be awesome. Thanks:)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I only put Dr. on my rewards card (hotel/flights) stuff in the vain hope that I'll get a free upgrade . Otherwise, just use your first and last name. Honestly, no one really cares that we're Drs outside of clinical settings, and trying to have people address you as such outside of a professional situation just makes you sound kind of douchey. Caveat, if you have a business bank/checking account, of course use it.

Reactions: 8 users
Hi everyone! So I just graduated with my Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology. I was wondering if you put Dr. So & So on bank accounts, passports or whenever addressing letters, or is it better to put my name, Psy.D. :)

Why would any of this be necessary?

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried using "Dr." for a dinner reservation at a swanky new restaurant.

They sat us by the kitchen.

I think just being a nice person is going to get me further in life.

Reactions: 4 users
I've only used it for hotel reservations for similar reasons noted above. I briefly thought about putting it down for air travel but quickly had the thought of someone having an emergency on a plane, flight staff seeing there is a "Dr" on the plane, and ultimately having to say, "Whoops! Sorry, not that kind of doctor! How is everyone feeling?"

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Traditional etiquette would allow one to use their degree in social settings, but not their title. Mrs. Post says title is okay in social settings, but this means you are introduced before your husband. Using both is never okay.

(What, you guys don't obsessively read etiquette stuff from the 1880s?).

I actively avoid letting anyone that does not need to know find out that I am a doctor of any sort. All it does is let others know that they can charge me more for the same service or ask for professional advice without paying for it. I drive an old Toyota, live in a mixed income neighborhood, wear jcpenney clothes, and keep a fat bank account.

Reactions: 10 users
I actively avoid letting anyone that does not need to know find out that I am a doctor of any sort. All it does is let others know that they can charge me more for the same service or ask for professional advice without paying for it. I drive an old Toyota, live in a mixed income neighborhood, wear jcpenney clothes, and keep a fat bank account.
A family friend was getting some estimates for home repairs done. You should have seen the substantial increase in the final cost after the contractor saw the "Dr." title on the check.

You know you're not supposed to list the title, "Dr." plus the degree, right?

No - Dr. I.M. Coolio, Psy.D.
No - Dr. I.M.Cooler, M.D.
No - Dr. I.M.Coolest, M.D., Ph.D. (these are redundant)

Yes - Dr. I.M. Coolio
Yes - I.M. Cooler, Psy.D. or I.M. Cooler, Ph.D.
Yes - I.M. Coolest, M.D., Ph.D.

Same. I recently put my "Dr." title on an airline/hotel check-in, and nada. Same seat, no free upgrade, had to pay for my expensive in-flight snack, and they had me booked in a fancy suite at the hotel. I actually had to downgrade because it was quite unnecessary.:greedy:

Reactions: 1 users
My wife is the one that always tells people where I work which then leads to the question of what I do. Hate it when she does that. :mad: What I have found is that the longer I work as a psychologist, the less I want anyone outside my work know.