Quantcast

Do I really need the DO letter?

Clinical Shadowing Summer '22 Programs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedprincess26

Reaction score
One of the MD physicians I shadowed is writing me a letter, but I do not have DO one. I am going to have to shadow a new DO to get one. I have tried calling every DO in a 1hr vicinity to me and no one has allowed shadowing. Additionally, I even contacted all of the DOs in the town of my university because I would be willing to go there just to shadow and none of them have had space either. Should I keep trying? And maybe look at places 2hours away or would the MD letter be enough? Thanks!

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the MD physicians I shadowed is writing me a letter, but I do not have DO one. I am going to have to shadow a new DO to get one. I have tried calling every DO in a 1hr vicinity to me and no one has allowed shadowing. Additionally, I even contacted all of the DOs in the town of my university because I would be willing to go there just to shadow and none of them have had space either. Should I keep trying? And maybe look at places 2hours away or would the MD letter be enough? Thanks!

There are DO programs that require that letter unfortunately so if those select ones are ones that you want to apply to I would suggest to keep trying!

premedprincess26

Reaction score
There are DO programs that require that letter unfortunately so if those select ones are ones that you want to apply to I would suggest to keep trying!

I called the ones that do require it and most of them said that they would accept the MD as well, but then a few them were very vague and insisted that they could not tell us details until we applied. Which is kinda weird to me b/c does that mean that even if they require something they could overlook it or that they just want me to apply and pay then be rejected

premedprincess26

Reaction score

Andfor the ones that don't require it, how important is it still? I've heard a lot of ppl say that's it is still essential

cptnjack

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
IMO, i would keep trying to find a DO and get that DO LOR. It'll save u the hassle of limiting your options of where you can apply and a lot of the DO schools ask about ur experience with osteopathic medicine, so it would be helpful to have some background to talk about, even though most DO's dont really use OMT or anything in practice

Reactions: 1 user

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Andfor the ones that don't require it, how important is it still? I've heard a lot of ppl say that's it is still essential

There's a lot of discussion on the topic. But I'm on the side of it being a high yield component of your application. A DO LOR can help an average applicant standard out a bit more, displays more commitment and interest in OMM/Osteopathic philosophy, and validates that you actually invested time into learning about how a DO practices. It also allows you the opportunity to during the interview discuss experiences and or perceptions when asked about why DO.

DrMikeP

5+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    This has been discussed 1000X on SDN.

This is akin to asking if you need another point or 2 on your mcat. Can you get in without it? Maybe at some schools, but how would you feel if you were right on the edge or waitlisted? Would you regret not getting one? Every school I interviewed at discussed my time with DOs extensively.

Also, you need to be able to answer the question, "why DO?" Every year at this time weekly someone is completing secondaries or interviews and struggles with such and asks for advice on SDN. If you have shadowed a DO then that's easier to answer.

I can't speak for all DO programs but the one at my university (well former university now) had a majority of applicants have DO letters.

So read tips on getting in shadowing experience and get a letter if at all possible!

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users

Goro

Lifetime Donor
    10+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    While some schools require a DO LOR (mine doesn't) you'll always be helped by having one.

acapnial

7+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    I called the ones that do require it and most of them said that they would accept the MD as well, but then a few them were very vague and insisted that they could not tell us details until we applied. Which is kinda weird to me b/c does that mean that even if they require something they could overlook it or that they just want me to apply and pay then be rejected

See, you should have asked them about something you know is essential to an application and used that as the control response. Like a LOR from a science faculty member who taught you. Then you can compare the degree of vagueness in each question.