Do I really need to do a masters/postbac?

Started by umrk
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

umrk

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey All,

I just re-took the DAT and am pretty happy about my scores.

BIO: 20
GC: 25
OC: 21
QR: 20
RC: 23
PAT: 20
TS: 22
AA: 22

I took 15 credits worth of upper level science courses during my gap year and got As in all of them, putting my oGPA at 3.4 and sGPA at 3.3. I also did about 15 hours a week of dental research during my gap year.

Before retaking the DAT, I applied to some postbac/masters programs and was accepted to MWU-IL's MA program and LECOM's Postbac program but now I'm not so sure if I need more coursework. Any advice? My #1 choice is Michigan (state school) and I know my GPA is still a little lower than the average (3.6/3.5) but my DAT is higher (21AA).

I have all my materials ready to submit on June 1st, including new and stronger LORs and more shadowing and volunteering under my belt so I feel that I'm definitely a more competitive candidate. I'm just not sure if I want to spend thousands of dollars on a program I may not need.

[Sidenote: anyone interested in DAT Bootcamp expiring July 10 for $30?]
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad