Do I retake the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trae11

Reaction score
I performed terrible on my bio section and considering retaking…my scores are below:

AA: 20
RC: 24
QR: 22
PAT: 18
GC: 19
OC: 19
Bio:16
TS: 19

SGPA: 3.99
Overall GPA: 4.00

I’m genuinely exhausted from school work and don’t want to take the DAT again if I don’t need to.

It was definitely a fluke and was wondering if my strong GPA will outweigh it.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about retake but dude your GPA is a monster. You are smart enough. higher DAT would get you anywhere man

Reactions: 1 user
Some schools may have a minimum cutoff for every section, but not all schools. Do your research and you can likely still have a good shot. One bad section is not going to kill your app with your current gpa

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools may have a minimum cutoff for every section, but not all schools. Do your research and you can likely still have a good shot. One bad section is not going to kill your app with your current gpa
My goal is UPenn dental so I think it may be best to retake, especially with my bio. But going into it with the mindset of improving upon all individual sections

My goal is UPenn dental so I think it may be best to retake, especially with my bio. But going into it with the mindset of improving upon all individual sections
Even if UPenn is your goal, keep your mind open for other schools because you may not get in there. But you also might get in. Just something to remember.

It also might be good to make sure your DAT score represents how well you’ve done in regards to your GPA. If you’ve excelled in your science courses, you should show that same high performance on your DAT. That could necessitate a retake. Just my 2¢.

I performed terrible on my bio section and considering retaking…my scores are below:

AA: 20
RC: 24
QR: 22
PAT: 18
GC: 19
OC: 19
Bio:16
TS: 19

SGPA: 3.99
Overall GPA: 4.00

I’m genuinely exhausted from school work and don’t want to take the DAT again if I don’t need to.

It was definitely a fluke and was wondering if my strong GPA will outweigh it.

Thoughts?
Congratulations on that stellar GPA that will stand out when applying to dental schools. IMO, you will be somewhat limited on your choice of schools because of your DAT scores. From what you posted it appears that you were juggling school and studying for the DAT at the same time, that is a lot of pressure. My best advice is to contact UPENN with your stats and see what they recommend, they will be the ones that decide to give you an interview or not.

I have a lot of experience in this area and and IMO the more competitive schools will look at your high GPA and question the lower DAT score..

Wishing you the best and please keep us posted on any updated information. I enjoy following the journey of students.

Nancy, co/owner, Destroyers