Do I stand a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

candydoodle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I recently joined SDN so my lingo may not be as advanced as you all

Anyway, my question was what are my chances of getting into a med school?
gpa- 3.36 undergrad (i messed up at the beginning of my college career but finished it strong, president's list in both semesters before graduating)
mcat- 23 (horrible i know) 6ps/8vr/9bs
retook the mcat and actually did worse, 22-7ps/6vr/9bs
EC- was involved in some campus organizations
I work as a pharmacy tech currently, have done shadowing and, will start volunteering at a hospital soon

1st generation to go to college in the US

It sounds cheesy and cliche but I REEEEEEEALLLY want to be a doctor, i've wanted this since i was 9

So do I even stand a chance? What are my options? DO or MD doesnt matter to me

Members don't see this ad.

try at least applying to the new for-profit school in NM (Burrell COM).

try at least applying to the new for-profit school in NM (Burrell COM).
Hey, thank you for the suggestion. What do you think of NSUCOM or LECOM? you think I stand a chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
NSU, no. LECOM-PA, maybe.
should i try taking some post bacc classes? or try doing MA? my first attempt at MCAT was in 2014 so i dont want it to loose its "shelf life" specially with the all new MCAT.... :unsure:

should i try taking some post bacc classes? or try doing MA? my first attempt at MCAT was in 2014 so i dont want it to loose its "shelf life" specially with the all new MCAT.... :unsure:

I'm going to be honest, it doesn't matter if your MCAT looses it's "shelf life" because it's not doing you any favors. Your best bet is to retake.

Reactions: 1 user
if you can bring your MCAT up even to a 24, you will drastically improve your chances at the low tier DO schools.

if you can bring your MCAT up even to a 24, you will drastically improve your chances at the low tier DO schools.

I don't think that would even do it, OP would have 3 MCAT scores all below a 25. If anything he would have to show drastic improvement to make up for 2 very low scores.

well with the MCAT being all new now, idk how i would do if i retake it. They added biochem and everything. I'm apprehensive about that

well with the MCAT being all new now, idk how i would do if i retake it. They added biochem and everything. I'm apprehensive about that

Take the year off to study for the new one. Do as best as you can. You're cutting yourself short with a 23 on the MCAT and limiting the schools you can apply to a small handful of schools.

Take a prep course to prepare for the new MCAT and retake it. Or at least start preparing to retake it while you apply. You don't want to go through the whole application cycle and then find out you didn't get in, need to take the new MCAT and haven't been doing anything to repair. Plus if you retake the MCAT during the application process and get a solid score, you can send it in an update letter to the schools that you applied to. Regardless, I think preparing to take the MCAT again is inevitable.