Do I stand a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chirene_99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 2.7 g.p.a and I scored a 21 on my MCAT's and to make matters worse I will be considered as an outstater by all the schools since there are no DO schools in my state. My EC's are not as bad as my scores though. I have worked part-time in a nursing home for 4yrs. and have assisted a GNP for a year. I have other volunteer services that I can add to the list as well. I have just started the application process and am not sure if I should apply because the competition will probably be fierce. With my grades I don't think I stand a chance!
So my question is do you guys know anyone whose has been in the same boat as myself and has been accepted into a DO program

Members don't see this ad.

With a 2.7 and a 21, it's going to be tough. Probably not impossible, but be realistic and face facts: it may not happen for you this year.

Assuming you have a degree, look into a post-bac or Masters program, and ace it. Study hard for the MCAT, and make sure to raise your score significantly. If you can do those two things, and you're willing to apply more than once, you'll really help your chances.

EC's sound good, but everybody has some good EC's.

Good luck to you. And hey, you never know, you just may get in this year anyway.

chirene_99 said:
I have a 2.7 g.p.a and I scored a 21 on my MCAT's and to make matters worse I will be considered as an outstater by all the schools since there are no OD schools in my state. My EC's are not as bad as my scores though. I have worked part-time in a nursing home for 4yrs. and have assisted a GNP for a year. I have other volunteer services that I can add to the list as well. I have just started the application process and am not sure if I should apply because the competition will probably be fierce. With my grades I don't think I stand a chance!
So my question is do you guys know anyone whose has been in the same boat as myself and has been accepted into a DO program
First off it's DO not OD. Second, no I don't think you stand a chance. A 21 MCAT is really bad and it does not go well with a 2.7. You should take a post bac or masters to increase that gpa and retake the mcat to get about a 25. You should also shadow a DO so you won't think it's OD.

You should apply to caribbean schools but you may have a tough time there as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate to say it, but the others are right. You are not going to get in with those numbers unless you are a URM or have some outstanding story to tell, so save your money this year. Why is your gpa and MCAT so low? That is the question you need to answer for yourself. Then, if you really want to do this, then you will have to go to a post-bac or masters program. Do well in it, and they(ADCOMS) will look past your mistakes. But beware, post-bacs and masters programs are your last chance. If you do poorly there, your done for good in medicine. So, figure out why your numbers are so low and decide if you can perform well in a post-bac. If the answer is yes, then go for it. If the answer is no, maybe you can go to OD school instaed of DO school(no offense intended to OD's).

I wouldnt' apply if I were you. But that doesn't mean you can never be a doctor. You should do a post-bac or masters and retake the mcat (study this time!!) and apply again later. don't give up if its what you really want but don't waste your money on a lost cause this year :(

sorry buddy

Chirene,
If this is something you really want to do, you might want to consider retaking some of your classes or doing a masters or postbacc program. Also, take the MCAT and study hard. Nothing is impossible as long as you want it bad enough.

well I suggest you go to Oldpremeds and read about a guy named Dave. Here is his story, I decided to paste it for you. Maybe It will encourage you if you feel this calling is truley for you. You have a long road ahead of you my friend, but it is not over unless you say so. This is an inspiring story and I hope you take something from it.

Who is this OldManDave guy and why has he created this organization and web site? Well, let me just tell you...a story 'bout a man named Jed, poor mountain man who barely kept his family fed...WHOOPS! Wrong story!!
Seriously, if you'd asked me at age 6, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I would have quickly returned: Doctor, astronaut or a truck-driver. Well, at 6' & 275# I am waaaay too big to fit in those tiny space ships, long distance driving is BORING; so I had no choice but to become a physician. That was the intent when I hit college.

However, to be straight - I majored in partying and minored in fraternity and ended up having to withdraw from school in the fall of '87 to avoid academic expulsion -- 93 hours w/ a cumGPA ~ 1.25. I knew then that there was no way on God's green Earth I was ever getting into med school.

So, I chose to work in allied health as a cardiac monitor tech. There I met a Ph.D. (still teaches at the U of Ark med school - cardiophysiology) who told me if I wanted it badly enough, the BEST chance he could see for me is to get a clinical degree/license, meaning nursing or respiratory therapy, & work a few years to demonstrate perserverance and dedication. Then, go back & re-do a complete BS and kick some major @$$ with the grades.

That journey started in ~'88. After ~10 years as a resp terrorist, at 33 years of age (in 99) & armed with my new magna cum laude BS in neuroscience from UTDallas, I entered med school in the fall of '99 at the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine. I have never worked harder, been so academically abused nor loved any challenge more than this. I cannot envision how empty I would feel had I not done this. Living my life's dream with my soulmate at my side, Wendy - my wife, I know that one day I will die a contented man safe in the knowledge that I led a charmed & full life.

Now, I am starting the second half of my 3rd year...I am 18 mos from my residency. I still have to occasionally pinch myself to make certain that I am awake. It has been a very long and, at times, very difficult journey.

Would I do it again? Absolutely!

Do I regret how my course was plotted? Not really...wish I were younger, but I truly am content & comfortable with "who" I am and most likely would not have luxury if I had taken the traditional route.

Would I receommend this route to someone else? No

Most common question I am asked: I have (insert deficit/problem/commitment of choice) in my background, can I get into med school? Yes you can, if you are willing to make the sacrifices, do the work and put in the long hours required to do it.

Next most common: Is it worth it? For me, undoubtably YES -- for you, ONLY you can answer that...and I strongly recommend very deep introspection and communication with yourself & those who'll be undertaking the journey with you before you make your decision.

I wish you all the best of luck and success in your journey through life. Always remember, Nothing Risked; Nothing Gained! -- OldManDave, year uncertain

--------------------
David W Kelley, D.O.
""OldManDave""
KCOM, Class of 2003
Dartmouth Anesthesiology Residency Class of 2007

Sainttpk said:
well I suggest you go to Oldpremeds and read about a guy named Dave. Here is his story, I decided to paste it for you. Maybe It will encourage you if you feel this calling is truley for you. You have a long road ahead of you my friend, but it is not over unless you say so. This is an inspiring story and I hope you take something from it.

Who is this OldManDave guy and why has he created this organization and web site? Well, let me just tell you...a story 'bout a man named Jed, poor mountain man who barely kept his family fed...WHOOPS! Wrong story!!
Seriously, if you'd asked me at age 6, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I would have quickly returned: Doctor, astronaut or a truck-driver. Well, at 6' & 275# I am waaaay too big to fit in those tiny space ships, long distance driving is BORING; so I had no choice but to become a physician. That was the intent when I hit college.

However, to be straight - I majored in partying and minored in fraternity and ended up having to withdraw from school in the fall of '87 to avoid academic expulsion -- 93 hours w/ a cumGPA ~ 1.25. I knew then that there was no way on God's green Earth I was ever getting into med school.

So, I chose to work in allied health as a cardiac monitor tech. There I met a Ph.D. (still teaches at the U of Ark med school - cardiophysiology) who told me if I wanted it badly enough, the BEST chance he could see for me is to get a clinical degree/license, meaning nursing or respiratory therapy, & work a few years to demonstrate perserverance and dedication. Then, go back & re-do a complete BS and kick some major @$$ with the grades.

That journey started in ~'88. After ~10 years as a resp terrorist, at 33 years of age (in 99) & armed with my new magna cum laude BS in neuroscience from UTDallas, I entered med school in the fall of '99 at the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine. I have never worked harder, been so academically abused nor loved any challenge more than this. I cannot envision how empty I would feel had I not done this. Living my life's dream with my soulmate at my side, Wendy - my wife, I know that one day I will die a contented man safe in the knowledge that I led a charmed & full life.

Now, I am starting the second half of my 3rd year...I am 18 mos from my residency. I still have to occasionally pinch myself to make certain that I am awake. It has been a very long and, at times, very difficult journey.

Would I do it again? Absolutely!

Do I regret how my course was plotted? Not really...wish I were younger, but I truly am content & comfortable with "who" I am and most likely would not have luxury if I had taken the traditional route.

Would I receommend this route to someone else? No

Most common question I am asked: I have (insert deficit/problem/commitment of choice) in my background, can I get into med school? Yes you can, if you are willing to make the sacrifices, do the work and put in the long hours required to do it.

Next most common: Is it worth it? For me, undoubtably YES -- for you, ONLY you can answer that...and I strongly recommend very deep introspection and communication with yourself & those who'll be undertaking the journey with you before you make your decision.

I wish you all the best of luck and success in your journey through life. Always remember, Nothing Risked; Nothing Gained! -- OldManDave, year uncertain

--------------------
David W Kelley, D.O.
""OldManDave""
KCOM, Class of 2003
Dartmouth Anesthesiology Residency Class of 2007
That certainly is an inspirational story and anyone with lower grades and is a nontraditional student should read it. Thanks for posting it Sainttpk:)

chirene_99 said:
I have a 2.7 g.p.a and I scored a 21 on my MCAT's and to make matters worse I will be considered as an outstater by all the schools since there are no DO schools in my state. My EC's are not as bad as my scores though. I have worked part-time in a nursing home for 4yrs. and have assisted a GNP for a year. I have other volunteer services that I can add to the list as well. I have just started the application process and am not sure if I should apply because the competition will probably be fierce. With my grades I don't think I stand a chance!

Chirene_99,
Of course you have a chance. I had GPA and MCAT a little better but I did not exactly cover myself with glory there. In addition to that your work experience dwarfs that of mine. And I was accepted. Do not give up. You may not have perfect GPA, and you do not have the best MCAT score but this should not stop you from persuing your goal if you really want to be a doctor. (Which you deserve to be judging by your commitment and experiense). Even if your effort does not pay off this year, having medical school interview (or application) experience will help you next year. Apply for medical schools and for pre-med post backs and sooner or later you will be accepted. Good luck.

Chirene,

I hope everything goes well for you. It must be hard going through what you are right at this moment. A 2.7 gpa is low, if possible, try to retake any classes possible and MCAT to get a 25 at least. That will put you in better position.

You must understand and I think you can be honest to yourself at least... The grades you got, did you deserve them? or did you not? What I mean by that is simple. Did you honestly gave it your very best shot and still got those grades? Or were you bothered by some personal issues throughout the years which hindered you from being better? You don't have to answer that question openly on the boards but think about it yourself.

The reason why I say this is that I'm just trying to be realistic to you. If you busted your behind and obtain those grades, even if you got into a medical school this year, competition would be a bit tough. Besides from that, you also have board exams which are even tougher. I am not here to deter you from fulfilling your dreams, but going into medicine is a big committment and takes a lot of dedication (like the story told above).

Honestly speaking, I don't want to see you attend med school and then decide its not for you or its too hard and drop out and waste 1 yr of your life, maybe more, and lose 30k.

sia_simba said:
Chirene,

I hope everything goes well for you. It must be hard going through what you are right at this moment. A 2.7 gpa is low, if possible, try to retake any classes possible and MCAT to get a 25 at least. That will put you in better position.

You must understand and I think you can be honest to yourself at least... The grades you got, did you deserve them? or did you not? What I mean by that is simple. Did you honestly gave it your very best shot and still got those grades? Or were you bothered by some personal issues throughout the years which hindered you from being better? You don't have to answer that question openly on the boards but think about it yourself.

The reason why I say this is that I'm just trying to be realistic to you. If you busted your behind and obtain those grades, even if you got into a medical school this year, competition would be a bit tough. Besides from that, you also have board exams which are even tougher. I am not here to deter you from fulfilling your dreams, but going into medicine is a big committment and takes a lot of dedication (like the story told above).

I agree with this poster completely and have to say that I had a 2.7 science GPA for the first two years of my post-bacc as I was working full time in an ER as a unit secretary. I thought schools would see past my GPA and into my resume but that was NOT the case. I also talked to a friend in med school who gave me the same invaluable advice above - she asked me that if those were the grades I was getting now, what did I expect to get in med school where classes would be even harder. My "I was working" excuse wasn't going to hold up then - I had to prove that I could get good grades in the tough science classes. So, I quit my job, moved back in with my parents and brought my grades up. If I couldn't move back home, I would have taken out private loans to supplement the whopping $10K the government gives CA post-baccs.

Just to let you know, I applied to all of the DO schools, and was instantly rejected b/c of the 2.75 science GPA requirement. They do NOT see past that - it is a preliminary step that has to be achieved. I do not want you to have the same experience! It stinks!! You can be successful if you re-take some classes or take upper division ones with better grades.

Try to find out why you didn't get good grades - was it study habits? Lack of study groups? Some people have learning disabilities and they don't even know it - not suggesting that you have a problem but just commenting that there usually is a reason for everything.

And, FYI - I got into a school with my previously low science GPA and 25 MCAT score. It is possible!! Just don't stop if you feel its the right path for you. Good luck!!

Kay

Good luck. I

Thank you guys for your input. It really helped put things in perspective. Rejection from all 10 schools would have been really hard to digest. The reason for my low G.P.A. (although I don't like to make excuses) is that I immigrated to the US my freshman year of college and had go through the whole adapting to a new country and culture deal. Although I had all A's my senior year, it wasn't enough to erase the damages that were done early on. What frustrates me is I made C's in Gen. Chem ( as a freshman) but aced Org. Chem I and II (senior year)! Well, there's no use crying over spilt milk right :)
So I guess I'm just going to have to put my dream of being a doc on hold for a few years and try getting into a post bacc. program. Anyways, thank you guys again and wish all you hopefuls all the luck in the world.

Thanks 'oldmandave' for your motivational post. It is exactly what I needed to hear.

chirene_99 said:
Thank you guys for your input. It really helped put things in perspective. Rejection from all 10 schools would have been really hard to digest. The reason for my low G.P.A. (although I don't like to make excuses) is that I immigrated to the US my freshman year of college and had go through the whole adapting to a new country and culture deal. Although I had all A's my senior year, it wasn't enough to erase the damages that were done early on. What frustrates me is I made C's in Gen. Chem ( as a freshman) but aced Org. Chem I and II (senior year)! Well, there's no use crying over spilt milk right :)
So I guess I'm just going to have to put my dream of being a doc on hold for a few years and try getting into a post bacc. program. Anyways, thank you guys again and wish all you hopefuls all the luck in the world.
Chirene_99: don't give up. Just do whatever it takes to imporove you GPA and try retaking the MCAT. Theres lots of study courses (i.e. Kaplan/Princeton Review) that can help you to improve your scores. Also taking some time to shadow a DO will help. You can do this by finding a list of DO's in your area and sending them letters about your interests as well as your desire to learn more about the profession. This way, you can get a chance to find out if its really what you want to do and if its worth it. :luck:

Hey Chirene,
Don't give up your faith to become a physician if that is something you really want. I came to the states in the middle of my junior year of high school and I know the pain that you have to go through. I have stats that are a little higher GPA 3.4 and MCAT 26 (low verbal) :mad: and I was accepted to my #1 choice osteo. school.
Just make sure that you focus on your area of weakness and do your best to improve it. To repeat what other posters have said, post-bac or review courses can be an option to consider.
Anyhow, focus your work and you should be able to achieve your goals. :)

Hey Chirene,

It may be difficult, but I would not go as far to say that you wont get in this time. I think that you could apply to a couple of schools that you REALLY want to go and try to work on your application the entire cycle. I would look into taking a couple of post bacc classes or even retaking some of your lower grade science courses.

I am going to PM you with addition info. Good luck.

Aaron

Before you spend the money, remember, as mentioned on another thread, most of the D.O. have a MINIMUM REQUIREMENT of a 2.75 science and overall GPA. D.O schools are known for looking past the numbers, but 2.75 is about as far as most of them look. This is a minimum cutoff!AACOMAS states it on their web site, and so do the schools on theirs.

Posted from another thread:

"the following D.O. schools require "Minimum science and total GPA of 2.75"

See http://www.aacom.org/colleges/

AZCOM
CCOM
LECOM
MSUCOM
NYCOM
OSUCOM
UMDNJ
UNECOM
KCOM (may be 2.5)

I don't know for sure about the rest of the schools. But if you apply before you bring that GPA up, these schools, at the very least, are out. So, I say again, don't waste the money applying. Save it, do some post bac work, get that GPA up, and apply after that. Good Luck to you!!

TUCOM also has a minimum for stats but I don't know what they are. You may want to call or email the admissions office to check. Here is a link to the TUCOM site. Click the General Admissions Information link at the top left hand corner of the menu. It give the stats for the Class of 2006 and 2007. Good luck! :luck:

http://www.tucom.edu/admissions.htm