Do i stand a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boogivens

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Scores from DAT
PA- 18
QR 16 :(
RC- 21
Bio- 19
GC- 18
OC- 20
TS-19
AA-19

BCP- 3.75
Sci- 3.72
Non- 3.84

I am a 3 year student and have applied to Indiana, Detroit, Florida, Nova, and Tenn and a Michigan Resident.

Is there anywhere else that i should consider applying or is it too late?

Members don't see this ad.

I had similar stats last year...

Had 3.7 GPA, 19/19/20 on DAT.. I got two interviews and got waitlisted at both schools. But if I were you, I would retake DAT. 19 is not a good number these days.. National average is 20 now.

don't listen to everyone on here. people will convince you that if you don't have a 30/4.0 you have no shot. in reality, scores are important but so are tons of other things. you have better scores than i do! you will most def. get an interview with your gpa/DAt scores.

you may want to apply to some more schools though. the schools you've picked like high scores, so you need to throw some "on the safe side" choices in. New schools like Southern NV, Midwestern-IL, Temple, etc...research what schools match up best with your stats. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
don't listen to everyone on here. people will convince you that if you don't have a 30/4.0 you have no shot. in reality, scores are important but so are tons of other things. you have better scores than i do! you will most def. get an interview with your gpa/DAt scores.

I agree with ChemBoy.

Had 3.7 GPA, 19/19/20 on DAT.. I got two interviews and got waitlisted at both schools. But if I were you, I would retake DAT. 19 is not a good number these days.. National average is 20 now.

Not true at all.

To the OP:
Your GPA is great.
Your DAT scores for SDN are average. (However GPA makes up for it)
You are an instate applicant.

As long as you have some EC's/research/work and apply broadly you will have a good chance at landing some interviews. GL.

http://www.haverford.edu/deans/prehealth/documents/dentalschool_scores.pdf

Check this site out...it will give you an idea of what the RANGES of scores are. Of course, if someone has a 4.0/30 they will have a lot more choices. Some dental schools are looking for people that fit a number of different criteria, i.e., diversity, lots of community service time, high GPA vs. lower DAT, vice versa. It's all up to you to research and decide where you have a shot. But, I can tell you this, you have really good scores. Don't beat yourself up trying to compare to everyone on here.

http://www.haverford.edu/deans/prehealth/documents/dentalschool_scores.pdf

Check this site out...it will give you an idea of what the RANGES of scores are. Of course, if someone has a 4.0/30 they will have a lot more choices. Some dental schools are looking for people that fit a number of different criteria, i.e., diversity, lots of community service time, high GPA vs. lower DAT, vice versa. It's all up to you to research and decide where you have a shot. But, I can tell you this, you have really good scores. Don't beat yourself up trying to compare to everyone on here.

so if i have a 3.0 cum gpa and a 3.4 sGPA i have a good chance w a 20AA????

I would say yes, you have a good chance. I mean, unless you're applying to schools that really emphasize high GPAs, you have a decent shot. You're DAT scores are awesome (to me). I got an AA of 17, cumGPA of 3.46, sciGPA 3.32 and I have a decent shot at the schools I am applying to. Am I saying I will 100% be granted an interview, of course not. Some with 4.0/30s aren't either. You have to sell yourself to your interviewer, because you will get some interviews with your scores. Best of luck! Btw, people are humans, we're not numbers. People on this site, for the most part are very supportive, but you always have the freak out premed type that think that if you graduate from Harvard with a 3.99 GPA and a 29 on the DAT, you chances are slim to none. Keep your heads up guys. We can do this!

3.7 gpa 19/19 is very very solid. You stand a really good chance for interviews and acceptances. Sell yourself in the interview. Good luck.

Chemboy, thanks for that link. I'm starting to feel much better.

I am not trying to degrade anyone else's hard work (people with better scores). I am just saying that people still have a chance with a 17/18, it may not be a great one, but the game isn't over. There is more to someone than their numbers. Dentistry is a service that isn't "all about you," it's about serving others as well. So many people with stellar scores do not get in because they act like it's automatic and get cocky. Everyone works hard on this forum and we all need to encourage one another. With that being said, I know that my scores may significantly hinder my app. BUT, I have a great life story, many volunteering hours (over 1,000), and I worked full-time, teaching while I went to school and have a family. I would expect a 20 year old that is under momma and daddy's wings to be able to get better scores than I did. I know a lot of mature 20 years olds, but you get the point. Dental schools care more about who they let in than scores on a test and GPAs, they want "uniqueness" and not narcissists. The last thing you want is to let someone into your school that's stuck on him/herself. Let's keep everyone's hopes up people because in the end that's all we have (all of us).

This is because you are international.

Original poster, yes you have a chance. Now stop posting "what are my chances." Or click on one of the 100 other what are my chances. They are all the same.

I would say yes, you have a good chance. I mean, unless you're applying to schools that really emphasize high GPAs, you have a decent shot. You're DAT scores are awesome (to me). I got an AA of 17, cumGPA of 3.46, sciGPA 3.32 and I have a decent shot at the schools I am applying to. Am I saying I will 100% be granted an interview, of course not. Some with 4.0/30s aren't either. You have to sell yourself to your interviewer, because you will get some interviews with your scores. Best of luck! Btw, people are humans, we're not numbers. People on this site, for the most part are very supportive, but you always have the freak out premed type that think that if you graduate from Harvard with a 3.99 GPA and a 29 on the DAT, you chances are slim to none. Keep your heads up guys. We can do this!

hey man thanks for the kind words, i haven't taken the dat yet its coming up tho i was asking hypothetically lol....but it feels good to know that id still have a shot w a 20AA...thanks again and good luck to u as well...all u can do is try ur best and see where it takes u!

Don't listen to KKim85, he is international student. You are an American citizen, you belong here and people need you here. I am pretty sure you will get accepted somewhere.

This is a farce. The first thing you have to understand is that the SDN is filled with brilliant people and after a while all the breakdowns make you feel like the national average is a 25 or something.

Average DAT score for accepted students in 2009: roughly 19
Average PaT for accepted students in 2009: roughly 19.5

Do not fret kimosabe! keep you head up!

What the hell is this guy smoking? or does he think everything below 23 is not a good number after he got those scores? He probably wouldn't have said that if he himself got 19's again the second time.
Show me where you found an article or anything that said the national average is 20.
The OP has a very good chance to get in with his combination of gpa and dat.

the fact that you were a "2 year" student last year could have played a role. but you've taken more units so you should be a much stronger candidate now.

My interviewer specifically said that 19 is not competitive and it's on par with national average. I'm not saying that he needs to get 23+...-__- but All I'm saying is that there will be thousands candidates with 19.
To be honest, most dental schools won't care if you did 100000 hours of volunteer service. If you have good GPA and DAT scores, you are most likely get in. One of my friends was not asked any question during her interview. She had 3.8 GPA, 23+AA/TS.. She told me that her interview only last 5 mins... and the interviewer unofficially offered her an acceptance... Things are different these days...

My interviewer specifically said that 19 is not competitive and it's on par with national average. I'm not saying that he needs to get 23+...-__- but All I'm saying is that there will be thousands candidates with 19.
To be honest, most dental schools won't care if you did 100000 hours of volunteer service. If you have good GPA and DAT scores, you are most likely get in. One of my friends was not asked any question during her interview. She had 3.8 GPA, 23+AA/TS.. She told me that her interview only last 5 mins... and the interviewer unofficially offered her an acceptance... Things are different these days...

Well duh with stellar stats, you will most likely be a shoe-in for dental school/medical school/pharmacy school. However, the reality is many people don't have those stats. If what you were saying is true, then the avg for all dental schools would be a ~3.8 ~20+ dat score which is absolutely not true. Same with Medical School, and Pharmacy School.

The reality of the situation is the numbers (avg gpa 3.5/19 dat for matriculants). The OP is not the MOST competitive, but considering he is an instate applicant with an above avg gpa with average dat score places him in a DECENT situation. No offense, but you make it seem like his hopes are zero to none, and other people that do not have your grades are hopeless causes.

I know many individuals that have a 3.5/<19 dat, 3.5/20-22's that have gotten into UCLA/UCSF/Columbia/NYU etc etc. I also know people with ~4.0/20+s that also get into those schools. It's the whole package that matters, and probably for those with lower gpas/dat scores that statement is the "most" true for them which basically means: it's not the end of the world if you have avg stats. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: