Do I stand competitive anymore?

Started by Sulilina1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sulilina1

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, this is a little embarrassing. This is the first time I took the PCAT. I've applied to Nova, haven't heard anything from them yet. Here are my scores. I just want to note that before I took this test, I only had a Chem 1 background a little bit of Chem 2, business calc and pre-calc. Therefore, no knowledge of Trig or any Organic chemistry yet (and chem was like more than 50% organic). I'm not too happy with my chem score but thats because of the aforementioned issue. However, I'm okay with my overall score, though I would definitely retake it if I don't get into Nova.

Verbal 427/87
Biology 419/78
Reading 417/76
Math 415/76
Chemistry 397/49
Composite 415/78

Writing 4.0
Problem Solving 3.5

Worked in a pharmacy for 1 year, strong LORs, extracurriculars/volunteering and personal statement. GPA around 3.5-3.6. Do I even stand competitive anymore?

Thanks,

Crystal
 
you're stats are competitive for most schools in the US. You're chem score is a little low, but since your other scores are much higher and you say you haven't taken a lot of chem yet, i think it is acceptable. Good luck with the application process.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks, I appreciate it.

lol im one of ur competitors and i applied to nova with a 70 pcat but didnt hear anything 🙁 but i have a 95 now this oct and years of pharm tech experience and a BS in Bio and minor in chem soon but dont worry im rooting for u bc ur 78 is pretty good in my opinion.
 
It's clear that taking the PCAT before taking the full chemistry sequence affected your entire score. The nice thing about the rest of your scores is that none of them are particularly embarrassing; they are all above 76. So, a retake when you have had at least one semester of organic with the gen chem sequence finished should get your composite into the 80s assuming that the rest of the scores have the same effect on your composite or better.

Based on the information you've provided, you're as competitive as you can be so you just have to wait to hear the adcom's opinion.