Do I start DAT Destroyer despite scoring low on practice tests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thatfutureDDS

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
I finished all my content review on Bootcamp, and have been doing practice tests the last 2-3 weeks.
However, I am scoring very low, 16-19's in sciences , indicatively showing I'm not grasping material.

Do I continue reviewing content on Bootcamp/re-doing content review or do I jump into Destroyer?

At this point, I have one month left.

Please help me with ANY suggestions!

Thank you!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Knowing what I know about the exam and with many years of experience in this arena, I would get to the Destroyer asap.

Just my 2 cents
Nancy

I was always so scared of Destroyer because people always said it's "hard".

Knowing that I've been scoring low on Bootcamp, how do I approach Destroyer?

Like how many questions a day or what do I do?

Thank you soooo much for the help!
I appreciate you Nancy!

The Destroyer is hard but it is designed for students who want to Destroy the DAT the first time. That DAT is not an easy exam , especially if you want to score 20 plus. Do what ever it takes to get through the Destroyer, all the questions at least once, don't worry about what you are getting wrong, learn from your mistakes, make any weakness a strength, you will be so glad you did come test day. Timed test can never accurately predict what you will get on the DAT exam, but if you go in fully prepared and ready to fight the DAT Beast you will come out a winner.

Hope that helps and don't get discouraged keep going, never lose sight of the goal and always #think30.

Nancy

Last edited:
I was always so scared of Destroyer because people always said it's "hard".

Knowing that I've been scoring low on Bootcamp, how do I approach Destroyer?

Like how many questions a day or what do I do?

Thank you soooo much for the help!
I appreciate you Nancy!

I don't think practice scores in general are able to indicate how well or poorly you may truly do on the exam, but nonetheless scoring low on them is no good sign. I agree with what has been said for sure - you need to jump into the Destroyers regardless of how hard they may seem. This book, paired with the Math Destroyer especially, will rip you a new one but make you far more prepared for the DAT.

I always suggest to do as many questions as you can handle from each section per day in a given time period. Because you may find some questions or topics more difficult than others, an hour may let you get 20 questions done or it may let you get 5. It all depends on the subject and the subtopic! So set time limits, rather than question limits, I would say. Accept the fact that you will get a good majority of the questions wrong and grow from it - make flashcards, take notes, whatever works for you! Check out people's breakdowns on SDN who have used the Destroyers (like me, rainbowsheep, WithLove, etc.) and see what they thought about it as well and how to best approach it.

One month is a lot of time if you plan on spending 10 hours a day studying. If so, I think you could manage getting everything up to par with the actual exam by then. If you're not ready for that time commitment, though, you may want to start considering a rescheduled date. It's best to take this exam once, and if you're not confident and not prepared, you will likely end up having a retake. Take care in judging how well you are doing and how well you think you will do.

TLDR: Jump into the Destroyers. Hard. And fast. Good luck!