DO I STILL HAVE A CHANCE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JasleenB

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am entering my third year at Ryerson University. I am completing a degree in medical physics and currently have a 3.53 GPA, which I am not proud of. My first-year of university was not good at all, I dropped my dream of becoming a dentist after reviewing my first-year GPA. Second-year I pushed harder and was able to increase my GPA and started thinking about my dream of dentistry again (I even got onto the dean's list :) yay). For the past couple of days, I have become very discouraged about my chances of getting into dental school. I am trying my hardest but I don't know if I would even stand a chance against the amazing scores of my fellow pre-dental students when its time to apply. I am planning on taking the DAT in February 2021 so I can apply when the applications start in September 2021. I am already studying for the DAT because I really want to score a high average and show my true passion for dentistry. I have also talked to my dentist about shadowing her, I will start once the pandemic settles down a bit. I have been working part-time as a pharmacy assistant for the past two years and I have over 100 hospital volunteer hours.

I wanted to know if you guys think I still have a chance in becoming the dentist I always wanted to be and what I should do to increase my chances. I would really appreciate all your responses and please don't be hesitant to tell me the harsh truth. THANK YOU!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, I am entering my third year at Ryerson University. I am completing a degree in medical physics and currently have a 3.53 GPA, which I am not proud of. My first-year of university was not good at all, I dropped my dream of becoming a dentist after reviewing my first-year GPA. Second-year I pushed harder and was able to increase my GPA and started thinking about my dream of dentistry again (I even got onto the dean's list :) yay). For the past couple of days, I have become very discouraged about my chances of getting into dental school. I am trying my hardest but I don't know if I would even stand a chance against the amazing scores of my fellow pre-dental students when its time to apply. I am planning on taking the DAT in February 2021 so I can apply when the applications start in September 2021. I am already studying for the DAT because I really want to score a high average and show my true passion for dentistry. I have also talked to my dentist about shadowing her, I will start once the pandemic settles down a bit. I have been working part-time as a pharmacy assistant for the past two years and I have over 100 hospital volunteer hours.

I wanted to know if you guys think I still have a chance in becoming the dentist I always wanted to be and what I should do to increase my chances. I would really appreciate all your responses and please don't be hesitant to tell me the harsh truth. THANK YOU!
yes, you have a chance...

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
You definitely still have a chance! However, whether you have a good shot to get into a Canadian school versus an American school is a different question. Many Canadian schools are very competitive and require 3.9+ GPAs. That being said, you can still rebound and get into schools such as UoT (remove the lowest year from GPA calculation if you've completed your 4th year) or Schulich (look at your two best year %).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA is still pretty good, especially considering your degree. Don't compare yourself to everything you see on SDN. I don't think the students on this board are representative of applicants on a whole. And obviously the students with the best grades are going to be the ones most vocal about it. So you've absolutely got a chance. Maintain an upward trend in your grades, stay involved with dentistry, find some leadership positions, kill the DAT, and do some consistent community service. You'll be a strong applicant if you can manage all of that.

Reactions: 2 users
You definitely still have a chance! However, whether you have a good shot to get into a Canadian school versus an American school is a different question. Many Canadian schools are very competitive and require 3.9+ GPAs. That being said, you can still rebound and get into schools such as UoT (remove the lowest year from GPA calculation if you've completed your 4th year) or Schulich (look at your two best year %).
Thank you for your reply! I am looking more towards Canadian dental schools, as you said I will have to push my GPA more. Thanks again, I needed this push :)!!

Your GPA is still pretty good, especially considering your degree. Don't compare yourself to everything you see on SDN. I don't think the students on this board are representative of applicants on a whole. And obviously the students with the best grades are going to be the ones most vocal about it. So you've absolutely got a chance. Maintain an upward trend in your grades, stay involved with dentistry, find some leadership positions, kill the DAT, and do some consistent community service. You'll be a strong applicant if you can manage all of that.
WOW, thank you so much! I had been feeling really down lately and needed some advice and a little push again. I have a question about extracurriculars, what type of leadership positions would you suggest and should I join some university clubs? Thanks again, really appreciate it!:)

WOW, thank you so much! I had been feeling really down lately and needed some advice and a little push again. I have a question about extracurriculars, what type of leadership positions would you suggest and should I join some university clubs? Thanks again, really appreciate it!:)
Leadership isn't an absolute necessity for your application, but I do believe it helps quite a bit. And honestly, just do whatever you enjoy, it helps you stand out. It's even better if that activity is people/service oriented. You should definitely get involved in some university organizations too, but pick things you actually like. Once you're involved, it's pretty easy to find a leadership position as well. Admissions likes to see that you're more than just a machine that works and studies. Extracurriculars demonstrate that you have people skills, and can succeed in the patient relations part of dentistry. These can also serve as strong talking points once interviews come around.

Reactions: 1 users
Leadership isn't an absolute necessity for your application, but I do believe it helps quite a bit. And honestly, just do whatever you enjoy, it helps you stand out. It's even better if that activity is people/service oriented. You should definitely get involved in some university organizations too, but pick things you actually like. Once you're involved, it's pretty easy to find a leadership position as well. Admissions likes to see that you're more than just a machine that works and studies. Extracurriculars demonstrate that you have people skills, and can succeed in the patient relations part of dentistry. These can also serve as strong talking points once interviews come around.
Thank you again, I will definitely be looking into more opportunities, although It very hard to find any open positions due to the pandemic. Thanks for the response!

Respectfully, what exactly are you so concerned about? Do well on the DAT and you seem like you would get in :)

many of my classmates had GPAs around there or lower. don't compare yourself to the top of the scores, remember its an average!

Respectfully, what exactly are you so concerned about? Do well on the DAT and you seem like you would get in :)

many of my classmates had GPAs around there or lower. don't compare yourself to the top of the scores, remember its an average!
I was just doing a lot of reading about previous dental acceptances and the stress was just building up. Thank you for this, I needed the reassurance!! :)