Do i still have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

classydude

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a 25 year old male and am in the process of applying to medical school. Like some other people on the forum, I have not yet gotten an interview, but I also havent been rejected formally either. People are saying that if you dont have an interview by now, then you have very little chance of ever getting one. Is that true, or do I still have a chance?

I have a very weak MCAT score 28S (10BS, 10VR, 8PS) because I took the test without having taken Organic Chem and Physics, but now I have finished those classes and I have a post-bac GPA of 4.0 from a UC school. I also graduated from an Ivy League university with a 3.6 GPA and honors in economics. I started my own company which released several products and then we merged with a bigger company and now I am involved with robotics. I am good at business, but I really know I am meant to be in medicine. My father is also a surgeon so I have been shadowing him for over a year now.

I thought my experiences and GPA would be good enough to overlook the MCAT score. Does anybody think I still have a chance or should i just file this year as a "no" and re-take the MCAT to apply for next year? Thanks for any help you can give!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am a 25 year old male and am in the process of applying to medical school. Like some other people on the forum, I have not yet gotten an interview, but I also havent been rejected formally either. People are saying that if you dont have an interview by now, then you have very little chance of ever getting one. Is that true, or do I still have a chance?

I have a very weak MCAT score 28S (10BS, 10VR, 8PS) because I took the test without having taken Organic Chem and Physics, but now I have finished those classes and I have a post-bac GPA of 4.0 from a UC school. I also graduated from an Ivy League university with a 3.6 GPA and honors in economics. I started my own company which released several products and then we merged with a bigger company and now I am involved with robotics. I am good at business, but I really know I am meant to be in medicine. My father is also a surgeon so I have been shadowing him for over a year now.

I thought my experiences and GPA would be good enough to overlook the MCAT score. Does anybody think I still have a chance or should i just file this year as a "no" and re-take the MCAT to apply for next year? Thanks for any help you can give!

Oh. I misread your post. I see that you have already applied. Well, in that case hang in there, you never know. If you haven't been rejected, there's still a chance you'll get a last minute interview. People have gotten in with your numbers; it's a crapshoot. It doesn't hurt to start preparing for the worst though. Some schools interview through March and April.

"It ain't over 'til it's over." There's still a chance.

I agree with 'manna, too. You have six months until the next cycle starts. Do what you can to improve your app just incase you need to reapply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any clinical experience?
Maybe you will get in this cycle, but probably not. 3.6 UG is not bad in the first place and the 4.0 post-bacc shows a strong upward trend. I don't think you are in any danger whatsoever, meaning that your record has no real damage (i.e. UG under 3.5 w/o recent improvement.) It looks like you don't have clinical exp. besides shadowing your dad, though. Try to find a free clinic that neeeds help or volunteer at a hospital and be aggressive in telling them that you want to get some hands on exp. Start studying to get that MCAT above 30 and reapply in a year. I would think then you would have reasonable success (better than many people.) Don't worry, you are in a better situation than a lot of people in the post-bacc/non-trad situation and with time success seems very reasonable. Good Luck!

Thanks for all your replies, ill continue hoping.

In terms of clinical experience, when I say I shadow my dad, I am essentially a PA. I also work in the OR and am currently involved a Health Assessment Project with refugee's. Its tough to do more, even though I want to, as I have a full-time job in robotics.

With your credentials, you should be getting interviews. My guess is that you either applied VERY late, you did not apply to a wide-range of schools, you do not have enough healthcare exposure, or a mixture of each. Numbers are critical only for the first cut but, in isolation, they are sometimes not enough to convince the Admissions Committee that an applicant is serious. Hang in there.....you may get a nice surprise in a week or two. My school is still sending out invitations (not for waitlist positions).

thanks scottish chap, and i hope you are right about that surprise in a few weeks. where do you go to school that is still sending out invites if I may ask?

With your credentials, you should be getting interviews. My guess is that you either applied VERY late, you did not apply to a wide-range of schools, you do not have enough healthcare exposure, or a mixture of each. Numbers are critical only for the first cut but, in isolation, they are sometimes not enough to convince the Admissions Committee that an applicant is serious. Hang in there.....you may get a nice surprise in a week or two. My school is still sending out invitations (not for waitlist positions).

You have like a one in a million shot.

So you're saying there's a chance?:) :D

In terms of clinical experience, when I say I shadow my dad, I am essentially a PA.
So you also went to PA school? Or how do you consider yourself being a PA?

Ed

Scottish Chap, what is an OP? And why should i be careful?

LatinGuitarrist, i said I am essentially a PA but didnt go to school. I dont do any procedures, but I follow my father everywhere, including the OR and I have a lot of patient interaction through taking patient histories and etc.

In terms of clinical experience, when I say I shadow my dad, I am essentially a PA.
I'd be careful about saying you're "essentially a PA", especially when used in conjunction with you experience being with your dad. PA's go through two years of training.

As to your odds, I applied late as well and feel like I'm paying the price. A 28 MCAT is no embarassment, but if you feel you can do better (and not having finished the prereqs, you probably can), I'd strongly recommend starting to study and retake it May or before so that you can apply early this next go 'round. I have three interviews and am studying for the MCAT already just in case.

LatinGuitarrist, i said I am essentially a PA but didnt go to school. I dont do any procedures, but I follow my father everywhere, including the OR and I have a lot of patient interaction through taking patient histories and etc.
Most volunteers in clinics and whatnot do the same. I would not equate this as being a PA.

Sometimes when premeds talk about knowing more than nurses, or essentially being a PA or whatnot, it can be interpreted as arrogance. I'm sure you're a cool dude and salt of the earth, but I'd watch out for that. It's a killer...

you are very right, and I have nothing but the highest respect for nurses and real PA's, they have taught me so much and the ones at my fathers office are wonderful. What I should have said is im an assistant to my father or just a volunteer at a practice. That being said, where do you have your interviews and best of luck!

You've got pretty solid numbers I think others have hit it on the head on why you havent goten any interviews yet.