Do I still have a chance!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissPi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good day readers!

I am now 27 years of age with a BA (08) in Journalism. I've completed all of my prerequisites including biochem and molecular cell and Cal I. I didnt fell any of these courses, but I could have done better. Therefore my gpa is around 2.7 :(

I have done various community service, volunteered, shawdow, and a semester of undergraduate research which I enjoyed. I have taken the MCAT once but didn't do well. Im prepared to take the GRE in May. This time im not working and dedicating full-time studying. I will take the MCAT in May 2014.

My goals are to attend medical school, im also interested in mstp. Ive tried other careers and medicine/research is what I enjoy. Any suggestions or advice on how to reach my goals?! If you dont have positive comments, please don't comment. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm going to give you some realistic comments.

You will need to raise your GPA >3.0 to be taken seriously by DO and some MD programs. You are not competetive now. MSTP programs are for the top of the top (think 3.9/3.9 GPAs) and are highly competetive, so they're not an option. If you're interested in research, a PhD would be more realistic. if you do get into medical school, you can always do a research fellowship at places like the NIH.

You are going need to do some serious GPA repair. Your best bet is with an SMP, preferably one given by a medical school. In essence, if you do well in one of these (and I do mean aceing it), the faculty both will get to know you and see you can handle a medical school curriculum.

Retaking any F/D/C grades will do wonders for DO, but not MD, programs thanks to AACOMAS grade replacement.

Please keep in mind that the GRE will mean nothing for medical school. I can understand covering your bases.

I am now 27 years of age with a BA (08) in Journalism. I've completed all of my prerequisites including biochem and molecular cell and Cal I. I didnt fell any of these courses, but I could have done better. Therefore my gpa is around 2.7 :(

I have done various community service, volunteered, shawdow, and a semester of undergraduate research which I enjoyed. I have taken the MCAT once but didn't do well. Im prepared to take the GRE in May. This time im not working and dedicating full-time studying. I will take the MCAT in May 2014.

My goals are to attend medical school, im also interested in mstp. Ive tried other careers and medicine/research is what I enjoy. Any suggestions or advice on how to reach my goals?! If you dont have positive comments, please don't comment. Thanks[/QUOTE]