Do I take the DAT again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentisttobe19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here’s where I’m at...

In 2016 I was going into my senior year of college. I took my DAT 18 AA 20 TS and 20 in all the science sections, 19 PAT 17 RC and I think 14 QR. I graduated with a 3.3 cGPA and around a 3.0sGPA in 2017 with no interviews. I applied to ten schools. I got my BS at a small D3 school not sure if this matters.

From 2017-18 I got my masters in biomedical sciences with a gpa of 3.3. I have been working as an ortho tech since May. I will be publishing an article about dental implants with an oral surgeon who is also a professor at Rutgers Dental School. I will be getting married next September (May be irrelevant just wanted to throw it in there). I have 100+ hours of shadowing and volunteering and played softball and was in clubs in college etc. I hope to volunteer at a cleft palate clinic before I reapply.
The goal is to reapply next cycle and have my application in in June.

Should I retake my DAT before I reapply?

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulation on getting married.
Yes, start studying for the dat and retake it if you can.

Reactions: 1 user
In 2016 I was going into my senior year of college. I took my DAT 18 AA 20 TS and 20 in all the science sections, 19 PAT 17 RC and I think 14 QR. I graduated with a 3.3 cGPA and around a 3.0sGPA in 2017 with no interviews. I applied to ten schools. I got my BS at a small D3 school not sure if this matters.

I would retake the DAT. You want to aim for 22 or above in AA/TS scores, at least a 20 in RC, and get that QR score up because it's dragging down your AA.

Check out the link in my signature - "Reflections on my DAT." I got great results with that method and you can too.

also keep in mind for some schools, 3 years may be the cutoff. so to not only increase your chances and be on the safe side of cutoffs, i'd retake it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you apply?

From the information I gathered while applying, some schools cutoff for QR is 16. Any less than a 16 and they won’t even look at your app. Other schools don’t care about the QR score.

Like another member said, there is also a 3 year cutoff for DAT scores at many of the schools. I remember Louisville being one of the schools that don’t take older DAT scores.

If you don’t care where you get in, you could probably do so without retaking. A lot of schools emphasize on areas you are strong in. Look for programs that are strong clinically with a community focus.

My biggest advice is to call and have a conversation with the admissions staff to each program of interest. They can be your biggest ally with an acceptance. Some schools just want to see your 20 in sciences and don’t look at your QR.

Last edited:
Here’s where I’m at...

From 2017-18 I got my masters in biomedical sciences with a gpa of 3.3. I have been working as an ortho tech since May. I will be publishing an article about dental implants with an oral surgeon who is also a professor at Rutgers Dental School. I will be getting married next September (May be irrelevant just wanted to throw it in there). I have 100+ hours of shadowing and volunteering and played softball and was in clubs in college etc. I hope to volunteer at a cleft palate clinic before I reapply.
The goal is to reapply next cycle and have my application in in June.

Should I retake my DAT before I reapply?
You said you think a 14 in QR, if it is a 14 indeed IMO a retake would be necessary. You have been away from the subjects for quite a few years now so make sure to prepare accordingly should you decide to retake.

It always best to call the schools directly that you are applying to and get their advice.

Wishing you the best..Nancy