Do I want an MD or PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gena23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new here. I'm glad I found this board, and was hoping someone could help me sort through the world of graduate medical education. I've talked to a few people (mainly professors of programs) who can't give me a straight answer, so hopefully someone here can share their knowledge/experience. What I really want to do is research diseases. :love: Should I go through med school or just go the PhD path in microbiology or biochemistry...?? Would having an MD really give me more options? What about a MD/PhD, would I live to see my graduation? (ok, now there are more questions here than you care to look at...so pick one!)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I forgot to mention that my undergraduate ed. is in psychology and I have zero research experience. If I were to go MD I would have to do a Post-bac first. Please help!

What makes you think you want to do research or medicine for a career? Do you have any hands-on experience with them? If not, you should go get some experience in these before you make any sort of commitment. Perhaps a post-bacc or master's program would be helpful for you to decide.