Do I want an MD or PhD?

Started by gena23
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gena23

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I'm new here. I'm glad I found this board, and was hoping someone could help me sort through the world of graduate medical education. I've talked to a few people (mainly professors of programs) who can't give me a straight answer, so hopefully someone here can share their knowledge/experience. What I really want to do is research diseases. 😍 Should I go through med school or just go the PhD path in microbiology or biochemistry...?? Would having an MD really give me more options? What about a MD/PhD, would I live to see my graduation? (ok, now there are more questions here than you care to look at...so pick one!)

Thanks!
 
I forgot to mention that my undergraduate ed. is in psychology and I have zero research experience. If I were to go MD I would have to do a Post-bac first. Please help!
 
What makes you think you want to do research or medicine for a career? Do you have any hands-on experience with them? If not, you should go get some experience in these before you make any sort of commitment. Perhaps a post-bacc or master's program would be helpful for you to decide.