Do I wear honor society cords, etc. at commencement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abby Normal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have cords and a small ribbon designating belonging to two honor societies that I joined as an undergrad. Am I supposed to wear these when graduating from medical school? At the commencement ceremony as an undergrad, I noticed that faculty wore these items, but am not sure about the appropriateness of this at a medical school graduation commencement ceremony? Certainly, I do not want to commit a faux paus....

Members don't see this ad.

I have cords and a small ribbon designating belonging to two honor societies that I joined as an undergrad. Am I supposed to wear these when graduating from medical school? At the commencement ceremony as an undergrad, I noticed that faculty wore these items, but am not sure about the appropriateness of this at a medical school graduation commencement ceremony? Certainly, I do not want to commit a faux paus....

i wore my spelling bee ribbon i won during middle school at my college graduation. :rolleyes:

think! :idea:

I am sure your school will be discussing this with you as the day approaches. Until then, no, you shouldn't wear these. You should only wear the flair that is related to med school, e.g. AOA, etc.

Did you notice anyone wearing high school stuff at undergrad?

Most schools discourage the wearing of any "flair", even that earned during medical school.

The only thing graduates are expected to wear at my school is the AOA cords or the Gold humanism HS medal.

I would also say that no, you should not plan on wearing these things.

It's best to contact your Office of Student Affairs and ask.

I'm going to wear a pink carnation for the secret society I joined.

Wait, what?