DO in Dermatology?

Started by Bcereus96
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Bcereus96

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone!

I'm an incoming DO student who has a sincere interest in the biology and pathology behind dermatology. I was thinking about pediatrics as a specialty, but I didn't want to leave the door to dermatology closed just because of the competitive nature. But since I am incoming, I wanted to ask for insight on what I have to do during my years of medical school to make me a strong applicant? I know the chances of DO matching into derm isn't common, but I know it's not impossible. So I'd like to hear some tips
 
Hi Everyone!

I'm an incoming DO student who has a sincere interest in the biology and pathology behind dermatology. I was thinking about pediatrics as a specialty, but I didn't want to leave the door to dermatology closed just because of the competitive nature. But since I am incoming, I wanted to ask for insight on what I have to do during my years of medical school to make me a strong applicant? I know the chances of DO matching into derm isn't common, but I know it's not impossible. So I'd like to hear some tips
Network. Easier said than done.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This paper is older, but I think a good rundown of what you need to do. Just ignore what they said about Step 1 and Step 2. You’ll want to take Step 2 before you apply and make sure to crush it.
 
Network, ace classes, ace boards, publish research.

Easy to say, hard to do.
I'm assuming specifically dermatology research? I know a lot of people take a year off to do research, but what kind of research? I've been doing wet bench research for the past few years but apparently scientific research and clinical research is completely different?
 
This paper is older, but I think a good rundown of what you need to do.
That's definitely a paper I have read that I really want to follow as well. You did bring up a good point it being old. From my understanding, dermatology has gotten a lot more competitive in the last three years? I am not sure if it's the competitive nature or people not applying ?
 
I'm assuming specifically dermatology research? I know a lot of people take a year off to do research, but what kind of research? I've been doing wet bench research for the past few years but apparently scientific research and clinical research is completely different?
All of my successful Derm applicants do a dedicated year of derm research while in medical school.
 
Last edited:
You’re going to want to shoot for quantity (clinical research). My school had 3 derm matches and they each had ~10 publications on pubmed.