DO in the limelight!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonUD

PGY-I
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out yesterday that the evil Dr. Will Kirby from Big Brother 2 and the current Big Brother All-Stars is a graduate from NOVA! I think it’s pretty cool that there is a DO in the media spotlight other than the guy from the weight loss commercials! Now if only he would say he's a DO and talk about it on the show a little bit to enlighten some more people about the DO profession and philosophy. His specialty is derm., just further proof that a DO can get into a top specialty.

http://www.coastdermatology.com/drkirby.htm

I think it would be great if a show like ER or Grey's Anatomy would add a new doctor that's a DO to the cast even if it's just for a short time. Regardless of what we want to believe, people see and learn a lot from hit TV shows. I think a DO on one of these hit programs could add some great press for us!

Members don't see this ad.

JasonUD said:
I just found out yesterday that the evil Dr. Will Kirby from Big Brother 2 and the current Big Brother All-Stars is a graduate from NOVA! I think it’s pretty cool that there is a DO in the media spotlight other than the guy from the weight loss commercials! Now if only he would say he's a DO and talk about it on the show a little bit to enlighten some more people about the DO profession and philosophy. His specialty is derm., just further proof that a DO can get into a top specialty.

I think it would be great if a show like ER or Grey's Anatomy would add a new doctor that's a DO to the cast even if it's just for a short time. Regardless of what we want to believe, people see and learn a lot from hit TV shows. I think a DO on one of these hit programs could add some great press for us!

or House, MD.

Sadly, however, a comedy show about doctors with at least one DO doctor could gain popularity rather than a hospital drama like ER, House, or Grey's Anatomy. The plot outline would be how the DO guy gets poked at and ostracized for not being an MD.

JasonUD said:

Actually if you read that it says he did an IM residency and then "devoted himself to the practice of dermatology", which is shorthand for "is not an actual dermatologist". In fact, it doesn't even say that he did an IM residency, just an intern year in one before going to reality TV, so he's basically a real world Dr. Nick Riviera. He's also kind of a huge douchebag. I really think DOs can do better as far as public reps go.

Members don't see this ad :)
dilated said:
Actually if you read that it says he did an IM residency and then "devoted himself to the practice of dermatology", which is shorthand for "is not an actual dermatologist".

Good catch...I actually was wondering what that meant after I put up the initial post.

dilated said:
Actually if you read that it says he did an IM residency and then "devoted himself to the practice of dermatology", which is shorthand for "is not an actual dermatologist". In fact, it doesn't even say that he did an IM residency, just an intern year in one before going to reality TV, so he's basically a real world Dr. Nick Riviera. He's also kind of a huge douchebag. I really think DOs can do better as far as public reps go.

Sad thing is, I bet the guy makes a decent living. He certainly knows how to "spin" information without lying to make himself look good to an unsuspecting public.

JasonUD said:

honestly.. folks. come on. You DOs are so self-conscience. You'll search everywhere for some "token" representations of DOs in real jobs. I mean please. You did yourselves a disservice by going DO which was probably something you were forced into because of crappy grades and a sick MCAT score. your AVERAGE is maybe a 24 for god's sake. Not even the biggest bafoon at my undergrad got that low... and his only MCAT-prep was 3 hours the night before. Look, you're all discriminated against for good reason. You're sub-par coming in, trained by other DOs, who were also sub-par, and your sub-par coming out. Get over it. And coming from a person who's in a top-ten MD program... trust me, docs do care about where they and their partners went... in fact we don't have a single DO around. but keep searching for the "token" reps if it helps you sleep at night.

I love Grey's Anatomy.. its funny already, but we could use a DO for some extra laughs.. :laugh:

danp016 said:
honestly.. folks. come on. You DOs are so self-conscience. You'll search everywhere for some "token" representations of DOs in real jobs. I mean please. You did yourselves a disservice by going DO which was probably something you were forced into because of crappy grades and a sick MCAT score. your AVERAGE is maybe a 24 for god's sake. Not even the biggest bafoon at my undergrad got that low... and his only MCAT-prep was 3 hours the night before. Look, you're all discriminated against for good reason. You're sub-par coming in, trained by other DOs, who were also sub-par, and your sub-par coming out. Get over it. And coming from a person who's in a top-ten MD program... trust me, docs do care about where they and their partners went... in fact we don't have a single DO around. but keep searching for the "token" reps if it helps you sleep at night.

You know it took me a minute......but...Premedmachine it is good to hear from you again...you still trying to make yourself feel better at our expense??

danp016 said:

I didn't know there were any top-ten MD programs beneath bridges...

Nice spelling btw :thumbup: I also like the alternating styles of capitalization and incomplete sentences, very minimalistic and contemporary.

Can we close this tread now? It has been tainted.

lol...
if thats how a "top 10 md" student behaves, im glad im "only good enough" for DO :)

Ugh… another thread heads down the drain.

cyclohexanol said:
I didn't know there were any top-ten MD programs beneath bridges...

Nice spelling btw :thumbup: I also like the alternating styles of capitalization and incomplete sentences, very minimalistic and contemporary.

Can we close this tread now? It has been tainted.

what a weak comeback. i didnt agree with what the dude said about DO's, but if you are going to hit back at him, at least reply with some substance. pointing out minor spelling and capitalization errors that everyone this forum makes because...its a f*ckin FORUM, is about as pathetic as it gets.

Members don't see this ad :)
percywilkins said:
what a weak comeback. i didnt agree with what the dude said about DO's, but if you are going to hit back at him, at least reply with some substance. pointing out minor spelling and capitalization errors that everyone this forum makes because...its a f*ckin FORUM, is about as pathetic as it gets.

I don't think cyclohexanol put any real thought into "hitting back at him." I doubt he even gives a $hit. And I happen to agree with his attack on his spelling and capitalization errors....afterall he attends a top ten school. Shouldn't he be more careful and put a good showing on to us DO's?

He is a tool.

danp016 said:

Haha ummmm....no

this "top ten md" cracks me up. Thanks for the entertainment! I don't need to defend my degree to some insecure a$$hole who probably didn't even get into med school or is a freshman in college. The funny thing is that you are going to realize you are full of **** when a DO saves the life of a person who you are very close to.

Go get a f*cking life you arrogant piece of ****.

n0chi said:
lol...
if thats how a "top 10 md" student behaves, im glad im "only good enough" for DO :)

AGREED

USArmyDoc said:
I don't think cyclohexanol put any real thought into "hitting back at him." I doubt he even gives a $hit. And I happen to agree with his attack on his spelling and capitalization errors....afterall he attends a top ten school. Shouldn't he be more careful and put a good showing on to us DO's?

He is a tool.

Exactly. :thumbup:

danp016 said:
I love Grey's Anatomy.. its funny already, but we could use a DO for some extra laughs.. :laugh:

I'm guessing you are still in junior/high school or you are very early on in your undergrad experience. Get a life and realize an MD - OMM = DO :laugh: How insecure do you have to be to come on to an anonymous forum to criticize other people? Are you jealous? Did you not get into a medical school?

n0chi said:
lol...
ahh.. that's so cute.

Anastasis said:
Yup, because you can classify all top 10 MD students by what one dingus does on a message board. :rolleyes:
dingus? now that's harsh. I was just being honest.. I didn't lie about the crappy grades/MCAT score DOs have. if you can't get the material down, then don't operate on me. but its nice to know that ya'll generally go into primary care anyway. (uh oh, anymore spelling mistakes?)

And another thing.. high school? college freshman? So you really find it difficult to believe that an med student would be so blunt? Trust me I'm very happy with where I'm at and only replied after "browsing" through some threads and noticing that you DOs are constantly on the defensive even when "dinguses" such as myself aren't even on the offensive.

DOs are the primordial archetype of all that exemplifies a Quack.

Now normally I would brace for a reply with substance... but since I'm dealing with insecure DOs, will have to settle for quips regarding my grammar and jibes about my "alleged" class standing. My fault for talking to Osteopaths. :sleep:

danp016 said:
dingus? now that's harsh. I was just being honest.. I didn't lie about the crappy grades/MCAT score DOs have. if you can't get the material down, then don't operate on me. but its nice to know that ya'll generally go into primary care anyway. (uh oh, anymore spelling mistakes?)

And another thing.. high school? college freshman? So you really find it difficult to believe that an med student would be so blunt? Trust me I'm very happy with where I'm at and only replied after "browsing" through some threads and noticing that you DOs are constantly on the defensive even when "dinguses" such as myself aren't even on the offensive.

DOs are the primordial archetype of all that exemplifies a Quack.

Now normally I would brace for a reply with substance... but since I'm dealing with insecure DOs, will have to settle for quips regarding my grammar and jibes about my "alleged" class standing. My fault for talking to Osteopaths. :sleep:

Over the past 60 years or so the AMA has tried to merge MDs and DOs into one degree. Obviously this implies that the AMA feels that DOs receive the same training and are of equal intellect to MDs. However, DO's want to maintain a seperate group in order to keep the benefits of OMT available to the US public.

danp016 said:

What do you say to a DO that scored higher than you on the USMLE?

Hardbody said:
What do you say to a DO that scored higher than you on the USMLE?
there you all go again.. looking for TOKEN reps. 99% of you won't score better. to the 1% who will, congrats. I'll buy you dinner :D

I have just recently learned about Osteopathic Med and it really appeals to me. But every time I get on this forum I get discouraged and it makes me sick to my stomach that every time people talk trash and bash each other. It is truely very very sad.

ruck said:
I have just recently learned about Osteopathic Med and it really appeals to me. But every time I get on this forum I get discouraged and it makes me sick to my stomach that every time people talk trash and bash each other. It is truely very very sad.
don't forget that this is an anonymous forum full of plenty of anonymous d*#chebags.....take anything you hear on SDN w/ a grain of salt.....sometimes you just have to sit back and laugh at some of the posts....

danp016 said:
there you all go again.. looking for TOKEN reps. 99% of you won't score better. to the 1% who will, congrats. I'll buy you dinner :D

If DO's are so bad, why are you on a DO forum? Also, if DO's are looked down upon by so many people, why do so many working health care profesionals, when they choose to go to medical school, go for a DO? I've worked in healthcare for many years and have worked with both md's and do's I have found both to be very capable. I worked for one practice that had two mds and two do's and everyone got along fine. Ask yourself why your opinion of osteopaths is in the minority.

ruck said:

Fortunately, it only occurs between premeds on this forum, and is not found in actual healthcare systems.

danp016 said:

I can see from your caring and compassionate attitude that you will make an excellent physician. I'm glad that I will have colleagues like you to brighten my day.

:rolleyes:

danp016 said:
I mean please. You did yourselves a disservice by going DO which was probably something you were forced into because of crappy grades and a sick MCAT score. your AVERAGE is maybe a 24 for god's sake. Not even the biggest bafoon at my undergrad got that low... and his only MCAT-prep was 3 hours the night before.

I'm not usually one to pick on spelling errors on an internet forum, but for crying out loud, if you're going to call people buffoons, at least spell it right! Otherwise, you look like a buffoon, my friend.

MedStudentWanna said:
I'm not usually one to pick on spelling errors on an internet forum, but for crying out loud, if you're going to call people buffoons, at least spell it right! Otherwise, you look like a buffoon, my friend.
I thought he spelled it that way for emphasis. You know, like BUH-FOON!! Although I guess his would be BAH-FOON...I think I like it that way better.

This thread has gone down the drain. Closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.