Do interns get paid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yazzman

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to run this by every one here. I was having a discussion with a friend who told me that pharmacy interns get paid. I dont think they do, but he was very convinced that they did get payed. He told me that they were paid 20 dollars per hour. I think he does not know what he is talking about. I dont think they get paid. So...I wanted to ask all the experts her and figure out do interns get paid or dont get paid?

Members don't see this ad.

Interns get paid. You may be thinking on rotations that are required by the pharmacy school, in that case, no they are not payed. If you were to go out and apply to a pharmacy and had your intern license and you worked in a pharmacy over the summer, yes, you would get payed while working as an intern.

If you are working as an intern for class credit, then you cannot get paid. If you are working as an intern on your own free time without involving the school, then you do get paid. I think the average is around like 16-18; 20 sounds believable (how much you get paid really depends on your location).

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, they get paid, usually quite a bit more than the techs.

Yes, pharmacy interns do get paid. However, don't confuse this with a pharmacy student who is doing one of their advanced practice rotations. From my understanding you don't receive a dime for the time you spend at your rotation sites.

20$/hr for an intern...that's pretty good. In AZ, interns start at around 15-16$/hr, but they get raises of 2$/hr for each additional year of pharmacy school that they have under their belt.

Yes, they get paid around $30000-$40000 a year.

Is there a big difference in pay if you are an intern in a retail setting vs a hospital setting? just wondering because it seems there is in tech pay, retail 8-12/hr, hospital 12-16/hr in my experience. what do you all think?

I think techs in the hospitals generally get paid more but its different everywhere. I know that I started out higher at the hospital than I would have at a retail pharmacy.

I have a quick question: What is an intern license and how do you get one?

I am not sure about your state but in Kentucky you can get one once you have been accepted into a pharmacy school. You will have to check with your state's board of pharmacy.

I am quite new to everything here, and I would like to know when during school it is appropriate to look for intern work?
I just came across this site, and I really like it so far. I will be here often.
Thank you in advance for your help.

I guess my question here is...

if you choose a residency after pharmacy school, do you get paid while doing it (like medical school residents)?

I guess my question here is...

if you choose a residency after pharmacy school, do you get paid while doing it (like medical school residents)?

you receive a stipend (usu. ~30k), not much, but residency is not long anyways

Members don't see this ad :)
ok, now how about a college student who's shadowing?Im trying to learn as much as I can while still in college! im leaning towards wanting to become an ortho surgeon!:)

Yes, they get paid around $30000-$40000 a year.

Oh yea, for that figure, I was referring to a pharmacy resident after graduation. I'm guessing that an intern earns up to $20/hr, but normally around $15/hr or so. Like everyone else had mentioned here on this thread, students don't earn anything for doing their APPEs.

To answer your question.

#1 - Yes, pharmacy interns do get paid.
#2 - They are not paid when they are on rotations from the school, in fact you are actually paying to work when you are on rotations.
#3 - You get paid for the work that you do when it's not rotations.
#4 - You get an intern license after your first year of pharmacy school. At the beginning of your P1 year, you inform your manager/district manager/intern coordinator that you've made it into pharmacy school and they'll promote you to "3rd Year Intern".
#5 - You will have to present them with an intern license over the summer and then you'll be promoted to 4th Year Intern, 1 year later, 5th Year Intern, 1 year later, 6th Year Intern, 1 year later, Graduate Intern, after you get licensed, PHARMACIST!!!!

Where are you guys getting these salaries!? I'm a P1 and I'm only getting 10.50 :( I think the techs are making like 8.50.

#4 - You get an intern license after your first year of pharmacy school.

I think intern laws vary by state. In CA, you can file for an Intern Pharmacist license once you are "enrolled" in pharmacy school (your dean must sign off the form).

And I'm pretty sure I'm looking at my wage being cut in half when I go from tech to intern... sadness. :(

ok, now how about a college student who's shadowing?Im trying to learn as much as I can while still in college! im leaning towards wanting to become an ortho surgeon!:)

Shadowing gets you the big fat zip... you are shadowing for YOUR benefit.. in fact, it probably costs the employer money to deal with you. So no pay.

I think intern laws vary by state. In CA, you can file for an Intern Pharmacist license once you are "enrolled" in pharmacy school (your dean must sign off the form).

And I'm pretty sure I'm looking at my wage being cut in half when I go from tech to intern... sadness. :(

Shadowing gets you the big fat zip... you are shadowing for YOUR benefit.. in fact, it probably costs the employer money to deal with you. So no pay.

Your wage isn't supposed to go down.

i'm a certified tech and i make more than you do as a p1.

Man! That's crazy. But my Rite Aid salary isn't lower than that of the CVS P1s, so maybe it's just that the salaries in Philly are lower? I know Walgreens P1s make a little more, I think like 11 or 11.50.

Tried getting a hospital job, but I guess hospitals just don't hire at the end of August, and I liked my summer job too much to quit and work in a pharmacy all summer.

I work at Walgreens for 9.75 an hour...I have no experience, no certifications etc...(this is my 1st month in fact and its been quite stressful but getting a lot better...haha..) I believe a certified tech makes 11 dollars an hour starting off.
I thought interns make the same as a tech????

BTW, hasn't anyone realized that this post is a year old and the OP was banned for trolling?

:laugh: Just noticed but I was curious about how much an intern make myself...I didn't know it was 20 dollars!

Your wage isn't supposed to go down.

I'm making a very nice wage as a hospital technician.. there's no way I'll get anywhere near it when I start working as a P1 intern.

i worked at cvs as a tech, 30 hrs/ week and got paid. not well, but i got paid. all interns are paid.