Do interviewers typically bring up letter of rec during an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssycv1

Reaction score
I have been on 10 ~virtual~ interviews so far this cycle, and none of my interviewers mentioned anything about my rec letters. I heard from some of my friends that their interviewers brought up how great their letters are. Out of curiosity--I don't know if it's pretty common for interviewers to mention letters during an interview, but if it is then does that mean my letters were just more on the mediocre side?

Members don't see this ad.

honestly, it depends on the school. First, schools have different interview formats, - single interviewer/single person, multiple interviewers/single person, single interviewer/multiple people (heard about that but never saw in person). so depending on the formats, rules will be different.

Some schools do not show interviewers any information except essay and basic personal info. Some show everything. So, it you interviewed in the first type of school, they probably didnt see your LORs at all.

next, some schools allow interviewers "free flow" the conversation completely, others have a list of questions, others do a mix of both. So interviewer has a certain agenda most of the time, and they honestly might not even worry about LORs, - they have stuff to ask you and to find out, you know?

next, time limits - schools who have only 30 or 45 min probably do not have time to ask you extra stuff. While in a free flowing 1 hours interview they might find time.

so, short version, - it doesnt mean any. Everything depends on the school, dont worry about it.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I have been on 10 ~virtual~ interviews so far this cycle, and none of my interviewers mentioned anything about my rec letters. I heard from some of my friends that their interviewers brought up how great their letters are. Out of curiosity--I don't know if it's pretty common for interviewers to mention letters during an interview, but if it is then does that mean my letters were just more on the mediocre side?
plus the fact that you have TEN INTERVIEWS means that your LORs are most likely really good.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We're not supposed to, lest we compromise any info in the letters.

Most LORs are pretty much the same; they all gel after awhile. There's really nothing to comment on, "like Dr Smith says you're very diligent"... we expect you to be diligent.

If any red flag issues get raised, you might be asked about it in an oblique way, but we sure as hell don't' ask "Dr Wesson said that you were always late to class....what's up with that?"

Reactions: 2 users
Out of several interviews my kid had one interviewer mentioned that his LORs are very strong and he should expect multiple As.