Do Intro Engineering Math and Physics count as BCPM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sillyether

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Similar questions have been asked before, but not exactly quite what I'm looking for.

I was in my undergrad's college of engineering, which had a core set of required intro classes to take. Specifically, here's how they appear on my transcript:

- Calculus for Engineers
- Optics Waves Particles
- Engineering Mathematics

The first Engineering Mathematics was differential equations and the second was linear algebra.

I didn't do too well in these and was hoping to classify them as ENGI rather than BCPM. Is this possible? Or are the course titles too obvious?

Members don't see this ad.

Similar questions have been asked before, but not exactly quite what I'm looking for.

I was in my undergrad's college of engineering, which had a core set of required intro classes to take. Specifically, here's how they appear on my transcript:

- Calculus for Engineers
- Optics Waves Particles

The first Engineering Mathematics was differential equations and the second was linear algebra.

I didn't do too well in these and was hoping to classify them as ENGI rather than BCPM. Is this possible? Or are the course titles too obvious?

You don't classify them as anything... you enter your transcripts and AMCAS decides. It's not like you can go pick and choose :laugh:

They count as BPCM. PS to the poster above me, you actually do classify them as something and AMCAS will change your classification if they feel like you're wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
They count as BPCM. PS to the poster above me, you actually do classify them as something and AMCAS will change your classification if they feel like you're wrong.

As I said, "you enter your transcripts." But if you go put ENGI 2270 when your transcripts say MATH 2270, that isn't going to fly. You can't beat the system.

As I said, "you enter your transcripts." But if you go put ENGI 2270 when your transcripts say MATH 2270, that isn't going to fly. You can't beat the system.

Lol what?

That's not what OP is asking. To answer OP's question, yes those would count. You DO classify them yourself.

Edit: Just noticed that OP wants them to NOT count as BCPM. You could try classifying them as engineering (it doesn't hurt), but I would guess that AMCAS would switch them back to BCPM. Probably the only one of those that you could actually call engineering successfully is the optics one

Last edited:

I don't think you quite understand. If the class is Engineering Mathematics and is labeled as ENGI 2270, you enter "Engineering Mathematics" under course name, "ENGI 2270" under course number, but then it's up to you to classify it as Engineering or Mathematics. Even though your school calls it ENGI 2270 and not MATH 2270, AMCAS lets you decide whether or not it classifies as a math course based on the content. If it's obviously different they'll change it, but in the OPs example they would be classified as BPCM classes even if your school classified them as ENGI classes.