Do Lab Courses Count for "Science" LoRs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CorgiLoaf

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now, I have LoRs from profs who taught a Microbiology lab and a Physiology lab. These were standalone lab classes in which we did experiments and wrote lab reports.
Both professors hold PhDs and are faculty. I heard some medical schools only consider LoRs from lecture courses as "science" letters. Would I be fine with these LoRs? My undergrad also writes a committee letter so I feel like I should be okay.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a lab professor write one of my LoRs and had a great cycle without any issues. It might be best to have one lab and one lecture though if you’re unsure but I wouldn’t worry too much. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I had a lab professor write one of my LoRs and had a great cycle without any issues. It might be best to have one lab and one lecture though if you’re unsure but I wouldn’t worry too much. Good luck!

Thanks! Did you also have a lecture LoR? Most of the lectures at my uni had like 200+ students. Even the upper-level classes had around 80-100 students. My lab classes were much smaller (~20) and I had time to develop meaningful interactions with the profs teaching them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Did you also have a lecture LoR? Most of the lectures at my uni had like 200+ students. Even the upper-level classes had around 80-100 students. My lab classes were much smaller (~20) and I had time to develop meaningful interactions with the profs teaching them.
Yes I also had a lecture one. Agree, was difficult because lectures are larger but you just have to try to make an effort to get to know the prof through office hours, staying in touch after the course ends etc

Reactions: 1 user
Office hours ftw
Committee letters are hit or miss