Do lateral ventricles connect to the ambient cisterns?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pzh200707

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just a medical student and feel strange about this pic.
QQ截图20161228202052.jpg

Here are two pics from thieme- pocket atlas of sectional anatomy
zhuweiqian439513_1482910327792_21.png

zhuweiqian439513_1482910333744_96.png

Members don't see this ad.

Hi pzh200707, I can see how you are concerned looking at that picture. It almost looks like retrothalamic part of that patient's quadrigeminal cistern is connected directly to his trigones. lol....and to make matters worse that animation incorrectly shows the lateral ventricle connected to the cisterns. The trigones of the lateral ventricles pass in close proximity to the quadrigeminal cisterns but they do not connect. If they did connect directly like that picture suggests then aqueductal stenosis would not be expected to cause significant hydrocephalus. The CSF in the lateral ventricles must first traverse the 3rd and 4th ventricles before reaching the cisterns.

Hi pzh200707, I can see how you are concerned looking at that picture. It almost looks like retrothalamic part of that patient's quadrigeminal cistern is connected directly to his trigones. lol....and to make matters worse that animation incorrectly shows the lateral ventricle connected to the cisterns. The trigones of the lateral ventricles pass in close proximity to the quadrigeminal cisterns but they do not connect. If they did connect directly like that picture suggests then aqueductal stenosis would not be expected to cause significant hydrocephalus. The CSF in the lateral ventricles must first traverse the 3rd and 4th ventricles before reaching the cisterns.

Thanks, freelow_per7. I'm totally confused by the animation and pics. It just "looks like" fistula between trigones and ambient cisterns. lol.... Can there be any pathologic condition where trigones connect the cisterns since they locate so close.