DO Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocPanda

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I shadowed a DO last year and he offered to write me a LOR. I tried contacting him about it this year and I got no response. I only have his personal email address and have sent follow up emails. I would like to submit my application soon. Would schools review/send interview invites without a DO letter initially? I am planning to find another DO to shadow and hopefully get a letter from them before the supplemental deadline.

Members don't see this ad.

Yea. Youre fine. Get that app in!!!!!!!! I applied with an MD and just recently sent in a DO letter. Just get your app in and verified. That stuff can come later.

I was wondering this same thing. So you don't have to have all letters in before they send invitations? Some schools said your file wasn't complete until they were all in. I was holding back on secondaries since it's going to take me several more weeks to get one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering this same thing. So you don't have to have all letters in before they send invitations? Some schools said your file wasn't complete until they were all in. I was holding back on secondaries since it's going to take me several more weeks to get one.
Go ahead and send them in. Some schools will offer invites without them. Once your letters are uploaded to AACOMAS, you can notify the schools so they can download them and complete your app.

Reactions: 1 user
Post deleted. Found answer already.

Last edited:
Question for those of you who got a DO letter. Do you have to have a minimum number of hours shadowing the DO who writes it for you? Say a DO you shadowed for 10 hours agreed to write you one..would the schools care that the shadowing was only for 10 hours when it was written? Assuming you have other clinical experience already.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Yea. Youre fine. Get that app in!!!!!!!! I applied with an MD and just recently sent in a DO letter. Just get your app in and verified. That stuff can come later.

Wow your application cycle this year is expensive!

Question for those of you who got a DO letter. Do you have to have a minimum number of hours shadowing the DO who writes it for you? Say a DO you shadowed for 10 hours agreed to write you one..would the schools care that the shadowing was only for 10 hours when it was written? Assuming you have other clinical experience already.

Of course it's s going to depend on the doctor. There's not a standard. I sat in a cafe and talked with a DO for like 30 mins and he wrote a letter like he's known me for years.

Post deleted. Found answer already.
Wouldn't erase my post after Ive found my answer. I see people doing this and I don't understand. There's people that will have the exact same questions and will search these threads in the future. Leaving your post will help others.

Of course it's s going to depend on the doctor. There's not a standard. I sat in a cafe and talked with a DO for like 30 mins and he wrote a letter like he's known me for years.
Ok, that makes sense. I talked with the DO over lunch before I started shadowing so I guess it depends on how strong of a letter you can get and how comfortable they feel about writing it.

I just have to ask, I see a lot of people doing the little blurb about the apps.. yours say 20 secondaries -- II 2. What exactly does II mean?

Ok, that makes sense. I talked with the DO over lunch before I started shadowing so I guess it depends on how strong of a letter you can get and how comfortable they feel about writing it.

I just have to ask, I see a lot of people doing the little blurb about the apps.. yours say 20 secondaries -- II 2. What exactly does II mean?

II: Interview Invite

Reactions: 1 user