DO LOR vs premed committee?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matt1989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm wondering about the DO LOR, specifically whether I am supposed to ask the DO to send the rec directly to the school or if it is handled by my premed committee. I already have 3 profs, 1 DO, and 1 MD who agreed to send my pre-med committee recommendations but it seems like most schools are treating that MD/DO rec as a separate recommendation that is sent directly to the school (not via the premed committee). I asked my advisor and she said that it depends on the school.

I did notice that some schools have specific preferences like CCOM makes a big deal about including the AACOMAS ID on the letterhead. I think others actually make the DO fill out a specific form right?

I might be getting a little ahead of myself, but I just want to give the doc a sense of how much paperwork he's filling out for the 10 schools I'm applying to.

And what is Interfolio?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I'm wondering about the DO LOR, specifically whether I am supposed to ask the DO to send the rec directly to the school or if it is handled by my premed committee. I already have 3 profs, 1 DO, and 1 MD who agreed to send my pre-med committee recommendations but it seems like most schools are treating that MD/DO rec as a separate recommendation that is sent directly to the school (not via the premed committee). I asked my advisor and she said that it depends on the school.

I did notice that some schools have specific preferences like CCOM makes a big deal about including the AACOMAS ID on the letterhead. I think others actually make the DO fill out a specific form right?

I might be getting a little ahead of myself, but I just want to give the doc a sense of how much paperwork he's filling out for the 10 schools I'm applying to.

And what is Interfolio?

I am just as confused as you are...I know interfolio is a thing that you can manage your LORs online and send to schools from there, instead of relying on your premed committee..I also have a premed committee letter, but i dno't want to wait around on them..I think I'm going to let the committee send a letter and send all of the other ones ( MD,DO, science pros) separately via interfolio..how? I have no idea if I can do that because the answer is buried under a grain of sand in the Sahara desert...let me know if you find out.

Thank you fine sir. I heard about that text though this is honestly the first time I have seen it.

I have established that the committee letter is separate from the individual professor recommendations and DO recommendations. My underlying question, which I just emailed my premed committee about, is whether premed committees typically aid in collecting individual letters and sending them to their respective schools in addition to compiling the committee letter. My impression so far from my premed committee is that they collect the recommendations and either send them as is or mesh them into the committee letter according the each school's requirements.

I could be totally wrong about that though.

Members don't see this ad :)
this is what i was given as instructions by the committee...trying to get advice from you guys before I piss them off and they decide " im not ready for medical school" lol

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 45
Just to clarify, so each committee has their own process and after then compile a letter may in fact need to upload via Interfolio. Your DO or MD shadow letters will need to be done that way (or I should say can be done that way, they can snail mail the things as well).

1) You need to setup a interfolio account and have your ID (see below for link). When you request LORs, let the writer have your interfolio ID. If you writer already has an interfolio account, you can request a letter electronically . You can also link your AACOMAS ID to the Interfolio via http://interfolio.zendesk.com/entries/21876432-customizing-deliveries

2) Each of your LOR writers needs to sign up for a free account on interfolio with this link http://www.interfolio.com/services/recommendations/. They only need to submit a letter for you once.

3) You then get you letters together in Interfolio and you can send them as a packet (I believe) for $6 per school (if you do it separately I think you have pay separately) .

4) I would suggest that everybody get on interfolio now, find the schools you want to send to which may be a bit confusing, thought I would think the CIB or school website would give you some guidance on that.

5) To repeat i would get your professor on interfolio, help them to set it up or email them the link, etc. Make it as EASY as possible for them.

This should help.

Class dismissed

i'll hold on to this..thanks! they should make this LOR process way easier...it could and should be.

I'm still a little confused. At my school, the committee used my DO letter and professor letter to write a committee letter. When they send the committee letter to the schools I designate they also send the full DO letter and professor letter along with it. Does this mean I don't have to send in the DO letter separately since my school is taking care of it, or am I understanding this incorrectly?

If your school premed committee allows someone one from outside the faculty, such a DO, to submit the letter to the committee, it then gets included in the overall all committee. If they do this, make sure that they attach/include the original LORs submitted with the committee letter. Is that clear?

However, some schools do not allow outside recommenders (ie non-school faculty/staff) to submit to the committee, such a DO you shadowed with. Therefore, your have to have your recommender submit a separate letter via the previous interfolio posting. Is that clear?

Yes, this is crystal clear! Thank you! I am tweeting your message as payment right now!