DO Match Rate 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK guys, back by popular demand, I will try to continue to make these threads at least through next year, but I may slow down after that given how much less analysis is needed with the ACGME and AACOM reports now post merger.

A few things:
-Here are the 2016-2020 threads for reference - DO match rate 2016, DO match rate 2017, DO match rate 2018, DO match rate 2019, DO match rate 2020
-These numbers are all based on published reports. Reports sometimes have errors. Either way, hopefully this is useful.
-This says nothing about the type of GME attained. Some are only intern year positions and not full residencies. That said, with completion of only an intern year and the full COMLEX series, a DO graduate can attain a medical license to practice in more than 30 states. Please see the NRMP report for residency/specialty distributions.

The 2021 DO senior match rate (as in true match rate) for all DO seniors seeking GME is 90.1% (compared to 91.7% for 2020). For reference, the US MD seniors 2021 match rate was 92.8% (compared to 93.7% in 2020).

There is no range this year, because the NRMP has released DO senior data and will hopefully continue to do so indefinitely. This number was achieved by adding the number of NRMP DO senior matches (6327) to the military (263) and other match (36) numbers, to get a total number of 6626 DO seniors who matched. This was then divided by the number of DO graduates seeking GME (7355) to get the 90.1% of matched DO seniors.

The DO senior placement rate is 99.31% (compared to 99.29% in 2020, 98.48% in 2019, and 98.16% in 2018). This means that 90.1% (6626) matched, 7.9% (580) attained positions through the SOAP, and 1.3% (98) scrambled. This also means that 51 current seniors (0.7%) that wanted GME failed to attain it (compared to 49 - 0.7% in 2020, 100 - 1.52% in 2019, 112 - 1.78% in 2018, and 39 - 0.7% in 2017). An additional 51 (compared to 22 in 2020, 54 in 2019, and 47 in 2017 and 2018) did not wish to attain GME this year. The MD senior placement rate is typically between 97-99%.

Interestingly, the AACOM report seems to have excluded the 98 DOs that scrambled from their placement calculations in an attempt to better approximate "matched" DOs as opposed to placed DOs. The difference is that they included SOAPed students in that calculation.

The combined 2021 DO senior and graduates NRMP match rate is the reported 85.6% (compared to 86.9% in 2020 and 84.6% in 2019). For comparison, the combined US MD senior and graduate NRMP match rate was 89.3% (compared to 90.2% in 2020 and 90.3% in 2019).

Conclusions:
-DO NRMP match rate dropped a little this year (1.6%), presumably because of the pandemic and virtual interviewing. This decrease was, however, not that far off from the decrease experienced by MD seniors (0.9%).
-Despite this, DO placement rate was pretty much the same compared to last year. This is another year post-merger demonstrating no significant adverse effect on DO placement rates.
-Slightly more DOs this year went without a GME position than compared to last year (51 vs 49), but 2018 and 2019 was higher (112 and 100) and 2017 was lower (39). More and more it seems 2018-2019 demonstrated growing pains as DOs learned how to apply/compete with mostly ACGME programs. We are still in the realm of previous DO placement rates of >99%.
--I will reiterate this in this thread as I have before: You need to apply broadly in the NRMP match, because by default you are competing with far more people than in the past with the AOA match. I also recommend everyone to have a backup. DOs have clearly adjusted their application style with the NRMP match, and this will likely need to continue given the uncertainty of the future (P/F Step 1, continued virtual interviews?, less aways, etc.). That likely does mean applying to more programs and going on more interviews, than the days of yore (i.e. applying and interviewing at 5-8 AOA programs).
-The number of DO seniors not seeking GME this year is similar to 2019 and 2018 (51 vs 54 and 47), but more than 2020 (22).
-Of note, DO seniors increased by 520 this year (insane)! As a result the percentage of DO seniors not seeking GME is greater than last year (0.3% in 2020), but about the same as previous years (0.8% in 2017, 0.7% in 2018, and 0.8% in 2019).
-Overall, congratulations to the class of 2021! Yet another good showing among DO classes.

Sources:
-AACOM placement report - https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-...on/do-match-report-2021-full-report-final.pdf
-NRMP match report - https://mk0nrmp3oyqui6wqfm.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/MRM-Results_and-Data_2021.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 22 users
So the sky isn't falling yet!!! Let's keep it this way for this upcoming match.

Reactions: 1 user
Strong work, thank you for the thread

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should exclude milmatch, cause they are pretty much guaranteed a spot somewhere if they pass, but yeah good look overall. Thanks for the work. Impressive that the match rate is still above 90% and especially that even with 500 new seniors only 50 didn’t place at all. That’s a real achievement. All that said, I believe this year (22) is the big one for new schools where there will be 800 additional DOs, which will occur again several more times before the 2026-28 equilibrium of US grads and spots. So for those reading, past performance is no guarantee of future results. Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Agree completely with having a backup as well. I also think, especially with virtual interviews, that anyone who apply to less than 100 slots in a non primary care specialty is doing themselves a big disservice. 20 interviews should be the goal for DOs IMO.

Reactions: 1 users
I think you should exclude milmatch, cause they are pretty much guaranteed a spot somewhere if they pass, but yeah good look overall. Thanks for the work. Impressive that the match rate is still above 90% and especially that even with 500 new seniors only 50 didn’t place at all. That’s a real achievement. All that said, I believe this year (22) is the big one for new schools where there will be 800 additional DOs, which will occur again several more times before the 2026-28 equilibrium of US grads and spots. So for those reading, past performance is no guarantee of future results. Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Agree completely with having a backup as well. I also think, especially with virtual interviews, that anyone who apply to less than 100 slots in a non primary care specialty is doing themselves a big disservice. 20 interviews should be the goal for DOs IMO.
Unless something changed, I don’t think ‘22 is the big one for new schools, I think the only new school that opened in 2018 was ICOM so it won’t be adding 800 new seniors unless class sizes increased drastically at other schools. I think 2024 is the year with a big jump in grads but we will see how many new GME spots open up by then.

Reactions: 2 users