Do MD-MPH people make any dough

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Chankovsky

do they?

Members don't see this ad.

Public health or preventative health are still the lowest paying positions in medicine that I'm aware of. Further, I don't see how an MPH will increase your earning potential in any clinical position. So the answer to the best of my knowledge is, no more dough than a DO would make.

MD MPH people dont get their MPH to get rich, they get it because they feel a moral obligation to effect positive changes in health care.

There is one exception though. If you get your MPH in health policy and management, there is much money to be made in hospital/health insurance management.

Members don't see this ad :)
Neuronix said:
Public health or preventative health are still the lowest paying positions in medicine that I'm aware of. Further, I don't see how an MPH will increase your earning potential in any clinical position. So the answer to the best of my knowledge is, no more dough than a DO would make.

Lost you there at the last sentence. Did I read it wrong? :confused: DOs in any given specialty make the same as MDs in the same specialty.

Very true, though, that PH and PM are low end on the pay scale.

DrMom said:
Lost you there at the last sentence. Did I read it wrong? :confused: DOs in any given specialty make the same as MDs in the same specialty.

Very true, though, that PH and PM are low end on the pay scale.

I'll let him answer for himself, but I think the last sentence was meant to read as this: "no more dough than a dough (DO) would make". I laughed. :thumbup:

And BTW, Dr. Mom, the only avatar that I like better than mine is yours. :thumbup: :D

I must be going nuts. I thought the question asked about DO-MPH originally? In any case, DrMom is right: DOs have the same earning potentials as MDs. With either degree, your earning potential is not increased with a MPH. The jobs that a MPH could lead you to persue (public health) could actually pay less than clinical work. On the topic of administration, does a MPH help you get into upper management of health care organizations? If so, maybe that could help one to earn more. My knowledge of that area is almost nil.

An MPH in admin & policy/policy & mgmt does help for HCO management, especially in conjunction with an MD/DO. Also, I've run into some academic docs who were encouraged to get an admin & policy MPH because they were so involved in running the schools' clinics.

And thanks for the clarification, Neuronix. I figured there was some misunderstanding somewhere. :)