Do MD/PhD programs accept only one semester of calculus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Medigal

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My major is Medical Studies which is designed to offer all major science courses found in a bio major along with some humanities and healthcare related courses that help one become a better physician and a critical thinker. The problem is that it offers only one semester of Biostatistics (compulsory course) and one semester of any math course for which I took precalculus as I did not have that background in high school (I was born and raised in a different country and I came back to the US after a long time). I can arrange to take an elective in a one-semester Calculus for life sciences which is possible in my major. The other option is to take calculus with analytical geometry for which I will have to take permission from the math department. I am good at math, but I don't want to mess up my major and instead take other courses that I am more interested in. Are there any programs that will accept me if I lack a one year of calculus? I have asked a similar question before so I apologize in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Can you not just take calculus II on it's own? Why does it have to be with analytical geometry?

Can you not just take calculus II on it's own? Why does it have to be with analytical geometry?
There is no general calculus offered at my university; it is either calculus with analytical geometry 1 and 2, calculus for engineers 1 and 2, or calculus for life sciences 1 (no part 2 for life sciences). So I'm confused which course should I take and is it necessary to take two semesters?

Status
Not open for further replies.