You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Do med schools know where you are applying?
Started by Creightonite
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Someone at my interview (another applicant) told that med schools can view the list of schools you are applying to. I was not sure if it is true. Can someone cofirm that?
They cannot, although deans talk.
At some point much later in the process, schools can see where else you have been accepted.
Yeah only on May 15th do all the schools have access to all the other schools you've been accepted/waitlisted to. Until then they do not.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On a related note, did anyone who applied to Tulane send the entire copy of their AMCAS including the school list?
i think amcas will send the amcas to them when u submit....
i think amcas will send the amcas to them when u submit....
Some schools ask you to send a copy with your secondary as well. But you don't have to send that last page with the schools, and probably shouldn't.
QofQuimica
Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
They do earlier if they've already accepted you. I think I remember REL telling me that he could see everywhere else I had applied in mid-March.Yeah only on May 15th do all the schools have access to all the other schools you've been accepted/waitlisted to. Until then they do not.
OP, no, the school doesn't have a list of where you're applying. There are two ways they'd be able to find out before accepting you and before March: one is if someone else (ex. staff from another school like Law2Doc said) tells them, and the other is if you do. 😉
They do earlier if they've already accepted you. I think I remember REL telling me that he could see everywhere else I had applied in mid-March.
Ah. Fair enough. But they can't do anything about it or harass you about accepted theirs alone until May 15th.
They do earlier if they've already accepted you. I think I remember REL telling me that he could see everywhere else I had applied in mid-March.
OP, no, the school doesn't have a list of where you're applying. There are two ways they'd be able to find out before accepting you and before March: one is if someone else (ex. staff from another school like Law2Doc said) tells them, and the other is if you do. 😉
Med School Admissions Offices NEVER can see where you applied unless the applicant provides that information - and I agree, you should NEVER answer any quesions or send in your entire AMCAS app to a med school. It isnt our business to know where you applied. Med school admissions offices will know where you were accepted (for as long as you hold that acceptance) starting sometime in late ?March?. Med schools cannot see where you applied in our version of AMCAS, and frankly it isnt our business to know that.
Now --- having said that, reportedly your premed advisors CAN see where you have applied and what the result is throughout the process. If you are accepted, rejected, or put on hold, it is my understanding that the premed advisors have access to this information in their link to AMCAS.
For Tulane, I xeroxed over the part with my school list and it was fine....Some schools on the other hand ask you where else you've applied, OSU I believe is one.
On a related note, did anyone who applied to Tulane send the entire copy of their AMCAS including the school list?
) tells them, and the other is if you do. 😉
point being?...should we not tell them if they ask in interview?
INTERVIEWER::::"so what other schools have you applied to?"
ME::::thats none of your God Damm buisness!!
INTERVIEWER::::" we hate you and your not accepted"
see how it would turn out.....why wouldnt we want to tell them?
K
keerthan
Does anyone know if this holds true for the Texas schools (TMSDAS) as well? And I'm guessing TMSDAS schools cant ever see any of the AMCAS schools I apply to and vice versa? Thanks.Yeah only on May 15th do all the schools have access to all the other schools you've been accepted/waitlisted to. Until then they do not.
actually at my interview, I got asked to how many schools I was applying to and whether it was my first interview. I also got asked of my MCAT score at a closed file interview and asked what would I do if I do not get accepted. Then interviewer proceeded to tell me that waitlist is not that bad if I get on one.
actually at my interview, I got asked to how many schools I was applying to and whether it was my first interview. I also got asked of my MCAT score at a closed file interview and asked what would I do if I do not get accepted. Then interviewer proceeded to tell me that waitlist is not that bad if I get on one.
WTF?!?! Well if you already have so many interviews I doubt waitlists will be an issue.
when i said first, i meant the only one....
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
QofQuimica
Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
I know that this was a troll post, but I actually think it's a good question, because it's tricky to handle this issue sometimes. You never want to appear to be hiding something or like you're not being honest, but at the same time, you don't want to hand the school a list of places where you applied. What I did is that if the question was written (i.e., on a secondary), I left it blank. I never got any trouble for that at any interview. If the interviewer asked me the question, I answered it generally. I would say, "I'm looking at schools in the South and Midwest, because those are the regions where my family is and I want to be close to them." That was usually enough to satisfy the interviewer. One time an interviewer did press me further, and then I named a few schools (my state schools plus some others), and he let it go at that. If you can't avoid naming names, you still don't have to give an exhaustive list. I mean, I applied to 22 schools....it's not like I was going to sit there and list all 22 of them for him! Just pick half a dozen and leave it at that.point being?...should we not tell them if they ask in interview?
INTERVIEWER::::"so what other schools have you applied to?"
ME::::thats none of your God Damm buisness!!
INTERVIEWER::::" we hate you and your not accepted"
see how it would turn out.....why wouldnt we want to tell them?
I know that this was a troll post, but I actually think it's a good question, because it's tricky to handle this issue sometimes. You never want to appear to be hiding something or like you're not being honest, but at the same time, you don't want to hand the school a list of places where you applied. What I did is that if the question was written (i.e., on a secondary), I left it blank. I never got any trouble for that at any interview. If the interviewer asked me the question, I answered it generally. I would say, "I'm looking at schools in the South and Midwest, because those are the regions where my family is and I want to be close to them." That was usually enough to satisfy the interviewer. One time an interviewer did press me further, and then I named a few schools (my state schools plus some others), and he let it go at that. If you can't avoid naming names, you still don't have to give an exhaustive list. I mean, I applied to 22 schools....it's not like I was going to sit there and list all 22 of them for him! Just pick half a dozen and leave it at that.
good idea.
ps. why was he banned for trollinng.......is it because he said G_d D_mn?
ps. why was he banned for trollinng.......is it because he said G_d D_mn?
No it was the combination of a bunch of his posts last night + his mdapps - he was clearly trolling.
Wow it never even occurred to me that it might be a bad idea to name the other schools I was applying to in an interview.
Oh well. 🙄
Oh well. 🙄No it was the combination of a bunch of his posts last night + his mdapps - he was clearly trolling.
oh. what is an mdapps? is that like amcas for maryland schools?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 527
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 1K