do med schools really look at your facebook?

Started by msab
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was pretty open on SDN about the specifics of my application. I was never asked about my SDN profile at interviews and I don't think it hurt me in any way. But I make a point to never say anything online that I wouldn't back up in real life. The problem is if you use the internet as a shield for things that you wouldn't normally say.
 
Our school showed us embarrassing pictures of MS-2's that are completely unprotected on facebook. After a quick laugh, I bolted out of the auditorium and changed my settings. So, the answer is yes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am Facebook friends with old professors, teachers, and family members. There's nothing on there that would raise an eyebrow, hopefully. 🙂 I kept mine public and had no issues getting into medical school. Then again, I'm not sure whether they looked at it or not!

One thing I would be careful with is possibly bashing your ECs on Facebook. I used to check-in all the time at one of my volunteer sites, and would get a few likes and comments. I see people saying how their work sucks all the time, and this is on a child-friendly Facebook page. But how would ADCOMs look at an applicant who bashes their volunteer experience to no end on Facebook, yet tells them how much they love it in the PS/interview?
 
What about deactivating FB? I have heard that people can still search for you when you deactivate, but there is no profile to be seen....is this true?
 
I once had a law internship where I worked with the director of a law association. she would only have to go as far as googling names and clicking on the images tab to throw applications out...I wouldn't take the chance
 
The former dean of admissions of my school (now to be the dean of a new medical school) explicitly stated during orientation that they googled applicants and searched for them on facebook. At this point, assume all schools do it. Assume that all residencies do, too. I search for myself often to see what comes up; fortunately, not much at all.