Do med students students study abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gbu730

bake dreams
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to study abroad, and I'll be a senior in the fall. I thought it would be unwise for me to be away next year during the fall or spring semesters due to potential interviews.

My question is, if I (hopefully) start med school next year, would winter break (end of December till mid January) be the only time that I can study abroad? I know some schools have MD/PhD interview dates in December, so is it bad or even possible for one to reschedule interviews? Also, is there any opportunities for MD/PhD students to do study abroad (possibly during the summer) without falling behind academically?

Members don't see this ad.

I've always wanted to study abroad, and I'll be a senior in the fall. I thought it would be unwise for me to be away next year during the fall or spring semesters due to potential interviews.

My question is, if I (hopefully) start med school next year, would winter break (end of December till mid January) be the only time that I can study abroad? I know some schools have MD/PhD interview dates in December, so is it bad or even possible for one to reschedule interviews? Also, is there any opportunities for MD/PhD students to do study abroad (possibly during the summer) without falling behind academically?

At many schools, you'll do 6-12 weeks of clinical rotations after your second year before you start the PhD. You could do an international rotation with this time and not fall behind.

Why don't you go next summer between when you graduate and when you start med school? You could probably at least do a quarter abroad. You won't get credit toward your degree, but so what?

In med school, it would be easier if you waited until your last semester of fourth year and then did an elective abroad. Interviews end after January and you will match in March. After that, you have a dead 6-8 weeks or so until you graduate, which would be a perfect time for a boondoggle elective.

Members don't see this ad :)
QofQuimica, thanks for the advice. Most programs have deadlines by November, and I wouldn't know when med school starts for me yet. Also, if the school requires a summer rotation, I wouldn't be able to attend.

What about the winter break? Is it bad to miss any potential interview dates?

I know some schools have MD/PhD interview dates in December, so is it bad or even possible for one to reschedule interviews? Also, is there any opportunities for MD/PhD students to do study abroad (possibly during the summer) without falling behind academically?

There's tradeoffs to all these options. You have to weigh them. Most schools will reschedule your interview dates if needed. The pre-meds love to talk about how you need to show up there as early as possible and that you shouldn't reschedule unless necessary. I don't think it matters at all at most schools, even ones with rolling admissions. Frankly, I think you could do Fall away, and it would be fine with a competitive application just interviewing in December/January onwards.

At many schools, you'll do 6-12 weeks of clinical rotations after your second year before you start the PhD. You could do an international rotation with this time and not fall behind.

You don't do international rotations until you're done core clerkships and are clearly into elective time (towards the very end). I'd be very surprised if a school let you do this.

Why don't you go next summer between when you graduate and when you start med school? You could probably at least do a quarter abroad. You won't get credit toward your degree, but so what?

Agreed. Most schools do not require a summer rortation.

After that, you have a dead 6-8 weeks or so until you graduate, which would be a perfect time for a boondoggle elective.

Agreed here as well. My other suggestions would be if the MD/PhD program has any built in elective time. Mine has 6 weeks after Step I allocated for this sort of thing. Another option is a semester of grad school or year out of your MD/PhD program to follow your dream. I did this as a "personal leave of absence." Not all schools will allow you to do this though. Another option that I see frequently used for abroad travel is the medical school deferral. Not all schools allow this either, but it's another option you have for one year of study/finding yourself/living your childhood dreams/staving off nervous breakdown/etc.