Do medical schools give merit-based financial aid at all?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi!

Do medical schools give merit-based financial aid at all?

Just curious. As always thanks for chiming in.

Members don't see this ad.

Cleveland Clinic has gone tuition free. If you consider getting in merit-based, then yes.

Some schools do, but they are few.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure. Definitely shouldn't count on it, but schools do give merit-based scholarships to students it considers particularly attractive.

I know for a fact that most of the UCs give out merit based financial aid. One UC even gave me a 40K merit based scholarship that convinced me to attend them over a higher ranked UC. Off the top of my head, I know that Michigan and Vanderbilt are two schools that tend to give lots of merit based scholarships.

I think UChicago gives out merit based scholarships too, but I'm not completely sure.

MSAR says UPenn gives out around 10 full ride scholarships

MSAR says UPenn gives out around 10 full ride scholarships

This is correct. Knowing a few of the students that have them, let's just say, uh, they're in exclusive territory.

Also true regarding Pritzker. They offer a significant # of full-tuition (not the same as full ride, obviously), as well as quite a few 50% tuition. They're quite generous with the merit aid, or at least they were 3 years ago.

This is kind of a sore spot for me. I attend a state school as an out of state student (so I'm paying much more than state residents are). I did exceptionally well my first year of medical school, and in the process LOST a grant of a few thousand dollars I had had for first year (I'm sure it's not contingent upon academic performance, it just sucks either way). But then two friends of mine who ARE state residents and were B+ students the first year both got scholarships on the order of a couple thousand dollars.

I don't mean to air my dirty laundry, and this is really just sour grapes I'm sure. I come from a very very humble background, financially, while these two individuals both come from very affluent families and are only paying half of what I pay in the first place for medical school. So me honoring every course and in the process losing what little free money I was afforded, while they do pretty well but not outstanding and are handed money they really don't need . . . well, it's frustrating.

Cleveland Clinic has gone tuition free. If you consider getting in merit-based, then yes.
That seems to be how the administration looks at it, because they explicitly call it a full tuition scholarship. But there are still some people who get extra money for living expenses too.

How far above Penn, Chicago, and the other school's GPA/MCAT 75% do you have to be to get these scholarships? Or are they given on the basis of publications and other ECs?

which schools offer the full tuition plus additional stipend for living costs scholarships?

which schools offer the full tuition plus additional stipend for living costs scholarships?

I haven't heard of people getting a stipend on top of full tuition. This is obvious, but the only full tuition + stipend scholarships I can think of are MD/PhD programs.

Sorry to piggy-back off of this thread, but I was just wondering what it is that schools generally look at when awarding these scholarships. Anyone had any experience with this? I mean, do you need to have like an amazing MCAT score and come from an Ivy League premed program to get these, or what is generally looked at? I'm doing my premed classes now so I'd love to increase my chances of getting a merit-based scholarship. What advice can you give me?

Do everything perfectly academically and have outstanding EC's.

EC's - like, extra-curriculum activities? Any suggestions on what would be the best?

How far above Penn, Chicago, and the other school's GPA/MCAT 75% do you have to be to get these scholarships? Or are they given on the basis of publications and other ECs?

Just throwing it out there, I don't really think it has anything to do with numbers. It has more to do with "who you are," and you can interpret that however you want. I didn't get any money for where I am now, and I didn't get offered any money at the other school that accepted me despite having a GPA/MCAT combination well above the average. I also had solid research and some pubs. I think it comes down to connections and the interview, and perhaps a completely "unique" quality.

I read an mdapp that had 3.9 s&c.GPA, tons of activities, won goldwater, honors this, honors that, 41 MCAT, and other great achievements.

The uni of Michigan offered him a $160,000 scholarship and Vanderbilt offered everything for free.

I think his app also included saving a bunch of children from a burning orphanage.

I read an mdapp that had 3.9 s&c.GPA, tons of activities, won goldwater, honors this, honors that, 41 MCAT, and other great achievements.

The uni of Michigan offered him a $160,000 scholarship and Vanderbilt offered everything for free.

I think his app also included saving a bunch of children from a burning orphanage.

Hey I know that guy! He saved me and my friends when our house was burning once a long time ago...