You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Yes, many do. Very few people get significant merit money at most schools though.
Cleveland Clinic has gone tuition free. If you consider getting in merit-based, then yes.
Some schools do, but they are few.
Some schools do, but they are few.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know for a fact that most of the UCs give out merit based financial aid. One UC even gave me a 40K merit based scholarship that convinced me to attend them over a higher ranked UC. Off the top of my head, I know that Michigan and Vanderbilt are two schools that tend to give lots of merit based scholarships.
MSAR says UPenn gives out around 10 full ride scholarships
MSAR says UPenn gives out around 10 full ride scholarships
This is correct. Knowing a few of the students that have them, let's just say, uh, they're in exclusive territory.
Also true regarding Pritzker. They offer a significant # of full-tuition (not the same as full ride, obviously), as well as quite a few 50% tuition. They're quite generous with the merit aid, or at least they were 3 years ago.
This is kind of a sore spot for me. I attend a state school as an out of state student (so I'm paying much more than state residents are). I did exceptionally well my first year of medical school, and in the process LOST a grant of a few thousand dollars I had had for first year (I'm sure it's not contingent upon academic performance, it just sucks either way). But then two friends of mine who ARE state residents and were B+ students the first year both got scholarships on the order of a couple thousand dollars.
I don't mean to air my dirty laundry, and this is really just sour grapes I'm sure. I come from a very very humble background, financially, while these two individuals both come from very affluent families and are only paying half of what I pay in the first place for medical school. So me honoring every course and in the process losing what little free money I was afforded, while they do pretty well but not outstanding and are handed money they really don't need . . . well, it's frustrating.
I don't mean to air my dirty laundry, and this is really just sour grapes I'm sure. I come from a very very humble background, financially, while these two individuals both come from very affluent families and are only paying half of what I pay in the first place for medical school. So me honoring every course and in the process losing what little free money I was afforded, while they do pretty well but not outstanding and are handed money they really don't need . . . well, it's frustrating.
That seems to be how the administration looks at it, because they explicitly call it a full tuition scholarship. But there are still some people who get extra money for living expenses too.Cleveland Clinic has gone tuition free. If you consider getting in merit-based, then yes.
How far above Penn, Chicago, and the other school's GPA/MCAT 75% do you have to be to get these scholarships? Or are they given on the basis of publications and other ECs?
which schools offer the full tuition plus additional stipend for living costs scholarships?
MSAR says UPenn gives out around 10 full ride scholarships
A full-ride to UPenn would be a heavenly dream come true!

which schools offer the full tuition plus additional stipend for living costs scholarships?
I haven't heard of people getting a stipend on top of full tuition. This is obvious, but the only full tuition + stipend scholarships I can think of are MD/PhD programs.
Sorry to piggy-back off of this thread, but I was just wondering what it is that schools generally look at when awarding these scholarships. Anyone had any experience with this? I mean, do you need to have like an amazing MCAT score and come from an Ivy League premed program to get these, or what is generally looked at? I'm doing my premed classes now so I'd love to increase my chances of getting a merit-based scholarship. What advice can you give me?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do everything perfectly academically and have outstanding EC's.
EC's - like, extra-curriculum activities? Any suggestions on what would be the best?
How far above Penn, Chicago, and the other school's GPA/MCAT 75% do you have to be to get these scholarships? Or are they given on the basis of publications and other ECs?
Just throwing it out there, I don't really think it has anything to do with numbers. It has more to do with "who you are," and you can interpret that however you want. I didn't get any money for where I am now, and I didn't get offered any money at the other school that accepted me despite having a GPA/MCAT combination well above the average. I also had solid research and some pubs. I think it comes down to connections and the interview, and perhaps a completely "unique" quality.
I read an mdapp that had 3.9 s&c.GPA, tons of activities, won goldwater, honors this, honors that, 41 MCAT, and other great achievements.
The uni of Michigan offered him a $160,000 scholarship and Vanderbilt offered everything for free.
I think his app also included saving a bunch of children from a burning orphanage.
The uni of Michigan offered him a $160,000 scholarship and Vanderbilt offered everything for free.
I think his app also included saving a bunch of children from a burning orphanage.
I read an mdapp that had 3.9 s&c.GPA, tons of activities, won goldwater, honors this, honors that, 41 MCAT, and other great achievements.
The uni of Michigan offered him a $160,000 scholarship and Vanderbilt offered everything for free.
I think his app also included saving a bunch of children from a burning orphanage.
Hey I know that guy! He saved me and my friends when our house was burning once a long time ago...