Do medical schools require study abroad transcripts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopelessatlantic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior at a US university currently studying abroad for a semester at a UK university. I applied directly to the UK university and not through a third party. The grades I receive at the UK university will be shown on my alma mater's transcript as "transfer" credits, rather than letter grades (assuming I get at least a C).

From my research on this forum and on the AAMC site/AMCAS manual, we input the grades on the AMCAS as written on the alma mater's transcript. So in my case, my study abroad grades are effectively treated as pass/fail grades and not factored into my AMCAS GPA.

So my question is, do medical schools ask us to send the transcript from our semester abroad institution separately? I haven't been able to find a definitive answer. I'm hoping someone who was in a similar situation as me can chime in. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a junior at a US university currently studying abroad for a semester at a UK university. I applied directly to the UK university and not through a third party. The grades I receive at the UK university will be shown on my alma mater's transcript as "transfer" credits, rather than letter grades (assuming I get at least a C).

From my research on this forum and on the AAMC site/AMCAS manual, we input the grades on the AMCAS as written on the alma mater's transcript. So in my case, my study abroad grades are effectively treated as pass/fail grades and not factored into my AMCAS GPA.

So my question is, do medical schools ask us to send the transcript from our semester abroad institution separately? I haven't been able to find a definitive answer. I'm hoping someone who was in a similar situation as me can chime in. Thanks in advance!

Would also appreciate an answer on this. I did a study abroad session during my very first semester of college and took no relevant classes to my BCPM GPA. Not only are these classes listed as transfer credit similar to AP credit on my official transcript, but they are also not even relevant to my BCPM and did not affect my overall.

I assume that OP and I will still need our study abroad transcripts, but would appreciate an answer from someone more in the know. Thanks.

You should look more thoroughly through the AMCAS manual or perhaps call/e-mail to ask specifically, but I would guess that if the credit is listed on your university's transcript and it was accepted for transfer credit, then that should be sufficient. Again, though, look through the manual or call directly just to verify. It might be a pain to get those transcripts in the event they're required, so you should get a head start on this to get a definitive answer and plan accordingly.

Members don't see this ad :)
My grades/credits were on my US institution's transcripts and that was good enough for AMCAS and AACOMAS

My grades/credits were on my US institution's transcripts and that was good enough for AMCAS and AACOMAS
Were your semester abroad grades displayed on your US university transcript as "transfer"/"pass/fail" or as letter grades?

If these grades show up as transfer credits you will need to get transcripts for matriculation. I went through this process.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

If these grades show up as transfer credits you will need to get transcripts for matriculation. I went through this process.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
So you only sent it to the school you matriculated to? That is to say, it didn't factor into your application?

It didn't factor in terms of grades but I was asked about my experiences in another country.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Also, you should know that for matriculation you will have to send transcripts to be evaluated by a 3rd party to normalize grades and if needed a translator. It is a bitch of a process.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
I sent my study abroad transcript in with my AMCAS application for grade verification, even though those elective courses show up on my undergraduate transcript. I didn't want to worry about a delay in verification.

I sent my study abroad transcript in with my AMCAS application for grade verification, even though those elective courses show up on my undergraduate transcript. I didn't want to worry about a delay in verification.

Did you have the international school send your transcripts in for you?

Did you have the international school send your transcripts in for you?
My study abroad program has a US affiliated university that does the transcripts. So although the classes were in Europe, the transcript was US based. AMCAS didn't have an issue verifying my grades. Now I'm figuring out if my school needs that transcript as well.