Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't buy much of the intended change ups for the new test, eg they wanted it to function more as a competency test and urge schools to consider anything 500+ good enough. No way in hell that happens. Similarly I think the changes to passages and problems themselves is way overblown, my sibling's practice materials were not distinctly different, other than changing the subject matter most focused on, and neither was the practice Psych/Socio I had at the end of my test. I suppose it's all speculation for several years to come, but I'd wager a great deal that the MCAT changes very little to nothing about the population gaining acceptances to med schools.From my understanding, a major motivation to both add the new section and restructure the existing ones was to help weed out some of the students who are very intellectually intelligent, but lack any sense. The profession, the theory goes, needs more... of a human touch, to put it briefly. Whether or not that was the true motivation, the new exam does reward "bigger picture" thinking and analysis more so than the old exam. IMO, and ostensibly that of the AAMC, that long game predictive power is more important than STEP 1 score correlation. I wonder if there is a possible revamp of the STEP 1 in the pipeline, as well. Or, (without looking at any pertinent data) if there has been an upward trend in STEP 1 scores similar to what we were seeing in the old MCAT, I would think we may see that trend level off for at least a few years as the "new breed" of students come through (maybe a more bimodal distribution?). Obviously, the top MCAT performers would have gained admission under either exam, but there is surely a shift in the types of thinkers who make up the bottom ~25%.