Do memory enhancers actually work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shinbeats

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking Omega-3 but idk if it's actually working. I've heard of many other medical students taking memory enhancers but no one shares info about it. Do you guys know any effective memory enhancer products I'm desperately in need.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking Omega-3 but idk if it's actually working. I've heard of many other medical students taking memory enhancers but no one shares info about it. Do you guys know any effective memory enhancer products I'm desperately in need.

There is some marginal evidence of nootropics being effective. I consume them also. And kind of wonder about their ultimate cost-effectiveness. I'm using my board prep phase as a self-experiment. An extremely subjective case study I suppose.

I'm curious what others think too.

Members don't see this ad :)
The best memory enhancer is fear of not performing as well as you want to imo :p

The best memory enhancer is fear of not performing as well as you want to imo :p

That's what I've always relied upon. I take omega-3's, but not for memory enhancement. I mainly take them for cardiovascular health. Is there some evidence they improve memory?

That's what I've always relied upon. I take omega-3's, but not for memory enhancement. I mainly take them for cardiovascular health. Is there some evidence they improve memory?

I think the studies are pertaining to older people...the idea is if you dont have vessel disease (possibly reduced by omega-3s) the blood will continue to get enough blood (prevent atrophy) and therefore you stay "sharp" when you get old and retain a good memory.

I would be interested/surprised if they actually improve memory in young people w/o vessel disease...

OP, try running once a day, exercise does wonders for clearing your head and letting you learn/retain more stuff. The time lost exercising will more than make itself up in increased productivity.

I think the studies are pertaining to older people...the idea is if you dont have vessel disease (possibly reduced by omega-3s) the blood will continue to get enough blood (prevent atrophy) and therefore you stay "sharp" when you get old and retain a good memory.

I would be interested/surprised if they actually improve memory in young people w/o vessel disease...

OP, try running once a day, exercise does wonders for clearing your head and letting you learn/retain more stuff. The time lost exercising will more than make itself up in increased productivity.

Couldn't agree more.

During M1 I made it a point to eat chocolate sauce while studying physio, every time. I would dip a spoon into it an just keep eating a little bit the entire time I was studying. But I would only do it for physio and not my other subjects. I hypothesized that chocolate was releasing dopamine and this would strengthen the association with the material I was reading

My physio grades were better than any other grades I had that year and I still have clear memory of that material. Take it for what you will.

I take a combination of Omega 3,6 & 9. And it does seem to improve my short term memory a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nicotine

Spaced repetition learning (Anki, Gunner Training)

During M1 I made it a point to eat chocolate sauce while studying physio, every time. I would dip a spoon into it an just keep eating a little bit the entire time I was studying. But I would only do it for physio and not my other subjects. I hypothesized that chocolate was releasing dopamine and this would strengthen the association with the material I was reading

My physio grades were better than any other grades I had that year and I still have clear memory of that material. Take it for what you will.

Master troll likes his M1 girls with more cushion for the pushin'. :D

Chocolate makes you fat?!

And humans. (at least the cognitive portion)

On a side note, a lot of literature points to the possibility of declarative memory moving from short term to long term without having to undergo the change from short term to working memory. This can happen in moments where intense emotion is involved. So here's what you do...

Step 1) Buy a white shirt
Step 2) write all of your notes on the white shirt with a sharpie.
Step 3) Give white and 200$ to a friend and ask him to give both shirt and money to a scary looking homeless man.
Step 4) Have the strange homeless man attack you with a knife on your way home from school one night.

I always thought if they somehow incorporated all the information of med school into a game like world of warcarft everyone would be scoring 290s on step 1 with only 6 months of playing.

Super addictive + interactive = Learning and retaining stuff fast

I haven't play WoW in 6 years but still remember the entire map, alot of the quests, and a ton of players I did raids with. The same can't be said for histology I took less than 2 years ago.

I always thought if they somehow incorporated all the information of med school into a game like world of warcarft everyone would be scoring 290s on step 1 with only 6 months of playing.

I haven't play WoW in 6 years but still remember the entire map, alot of the quests, and a ton of players I did raids with. The same can't be said for histology I took less than 2 years ago.

They have this card game for microbiology so you probably aren't that far off

http://drottematic.wordpress.com/2011/08/11/review-healing-blade-the-infectious-disease-card-battle/

I pioneered the art of playing Affliction Warlock AoEing on pre-nerf M'uru :(

The problem with medicine is that a correct diagnosis does not kill the boss and give you loots.