1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

do more recent DAT scores make you a better applicant?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by SeriousPreDent, Jul 18, 2006.

1. SeriousPreDent

5+ Year Member

so i took my DATS in april 2004 and I have an AA 21...TS 21...i really don't want to take the test again but if will more recent DAT make me a better applicant. Since then i've taken some graduate courses and right now i have one semester left to complete my masters to bring up GPA...thanks for the advice.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. djeffreyt

djeffreyt Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Contact schools to ask how old is too old for DATs...Of course newer DATs are better, but only the schools would know what they feel is too old to still be representative of you.

4. Notoriousjae

Notoriousjae DAT Rockstar
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

DAT scores last for 2 years before they expire. Some schools let you submit scores that have been taken within the past 3 years but most dont. So depending on the schools you wish to apply to you will already have to retake the DAT without a choice if you plan on applying for the 2007 cycle. hope this helps good luck.
    Contact the director of admissions for the schools you wish to apply via e-mail and ask them about it. I contacted tufts, temple, boston, U of buffalo, columbia and they all told me that scores have be 2 years old or would need a retake.
    I also contacted the ADA and this is the official response i got from them. I am copy pasting it for you.

"In response to your question regarding the
    expiration of your DAT scores . . .
    Yor scores are valid indefinitely. It is the schools who put
    restrictions on the length of time they will accept them as "current."
    Please call each of the schools directly and inquire about their
    individual policies. Thanks. cjw
    Cynthia J. Willett
    Department of Testing Services
    Senior Testing Technician
    Phone: (312) 440-7648
    Fax: (312) 587-4105
    American Dental Association | 211 E. Chicago Ave. | Chicago, IL