do more recent DAT scores make you a better applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeriousPreDent

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i took my DATS in april 2004 and I have an AA 21...TS 21...i really don't want to take the test again but if will more recent DAT make me a better applicant. Since then i've taken some graduate courses and right now i have one semester left to complete my masters to bring up GPA...thanks for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Contact schools to ask how old is too old for DATs...Of course newer DATs are better, but only the schools would know what they feel is too old to still be representative of you.

SeriousPreDent said:
so i took my DATS in april 2004 and I have an AA 21...TS 21...i really don't want to take the test again but if will more recent DAT make me a better applicant. Since then i've taken some graduate courses and right now i have one semester left to complete my masters to bring up GPA...thanks for the advice.

DAT scores last for 2 years before they expire. Some schools let you submit scores that have been taken within the past 3 years but most dont. So depending on the schools you wish to apply to you will already have to retake the DAT without a choice if you plan on applying for the 2007 cycle. hope this helps good luck.
Contact the director of admissions for the schools you wish to apply via e-mail and ask them about it. I contacted tufts, temple, boston, U of buffalo, columbia and they all told me that scores have be 2 years old or would need a retake.
I also contacted the ADA and this is the official response i got from them. I am copy pasting it for you.

"In response to your question regarding the
expiration of your DAT scores . . .
Yor scores are valid indefinitely. It is the schools who put
restrictions on the length of time they will accept them as "current."
Please call each of the schools directly and inquire about their
individual policies. Thanks. cjw
Cynthia J. Willett
Department of Testing Services
Senior Testing Technician
Phone: (312) 440-7648
Fax: (312) 587-4105
American Dental Association | 211 E. Chicago Ave. | Chicago, IL