Do most MD/PhD's do post-docs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I assume so, but I wanted to make sure. It's a bit overwhelming how much training is involved in the whole process, sometimes...

Edit: Make that "Do most MD/PhD's do post-docs and/or fellowships?"

Members don't see this ad.

no
very few people who do a residency end up doing another postdoc. you can do similiar things as a postdoc but get paid much more ~$80-90k as a fellow.

those who elect to quit applying residency (~10%) and do a postdoc instead invariably never come back and do a residency later.

Most everyone in academics (not just MD/PhDs) does a fellowship of some kind. I would say that most MD/PhDs that end up doing basic science will have some kind of post-doc experience, but as mentioned in the previous post, it is usually incorporated into the fellowship (maybe add a year or so to the traditional clinical fellowship).

Members don't see this ad :)
I assume so, but I wanted to make sure. It's a bit overwhelming how much training is involved in the whole process, sometimes...

Edit: Make that "Do most MD/PhD's do post-docs and/or fellowships?"
I am seriously thinking about doing a post doc. But if I do, I'll be taking a fifth year during med school, not taking time off between med school and residency. I don't think it's necessary to do a post doc though. In my case, it's just that I've been involved with research during med school, and I would like to be able to work on my project full-time.

Does anyone happen to know any programs of this type in the realm of Emergency Med?

Wahahaha! You have invoked the magic word and have thereby summoned me! (sorry for the drama, but EMed rarely comes up on this forum and I'm lonely :D )

There are research fellowships in EM, and most other fellowships (including Toxicology and Hyperbaric medicine, see here, include research as well. EM fellowships are unique in that you generally end up doing general EM + your subspecialty (unless you run a hyperbaric chamber or a Poison Control center).