Do most school do weird GPA calculations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

For example...Univ Washington does this.

Freshman year GPA = 1/6
Soph GPA = 2/6
Junior GPA = 3/6

Basically making your freshman year gpa worthless...and making a B or 2 in junior year a killer. I hate it lol. I don't think all schools do that though..do they?

Members don't see this ad.

ive never heard of a system like that. It doesnt really matter if you are applying to med school tho since AMCAS will recalculate your GPA they way that they want to.

ive never heard of a system like that. It doesnt really matter if you are applying to med school tho since AMCAS will recalculate your GPA they way that they want to.

Good to know. For U-dub at least they ignore AMCAS gpa and recalculate it that weird way themselves...its very odd. The guy from the school said it was to show progress but I'm glad its not like that everywhere

Members don't see this ad :)
Good to know. For U-dub at least they ignore AMCAS gpa and recalculate it that weird way themselves...its very odd. The guy from the school said it was to show progress but I'm glad its not like that everywhere

yea youll always find the exception to the rule. I wouldnt worry too much about it tho, every year is equally as important.

Freshman year GPA = 1/6
Soph GPA = 2/6
Junior GPA = 3/6

Basically making your freshman year gpa worthless...and making a B or 2 in junior year a killer. I hate it lol. I don't think all schools do that though..do they?

If that were the case, then a person applying after senior year would ruin the system. Makes no sense.

Freshman year GPA = 1/6
Soph GPA = 2/6
Junior GPA = 3/6

I know, this is just a load of bull. It shows progress? What the hell, don't they know it's the junior year when we start taking difficult upper division biology courses? Washington shouldn't do it this way. I hope Wash is the only one that does this.

If that were the case, then a person applying after senior year would ruin the system. Makes no sense.

A guy from the washington adcom (or was on it at least) said that if the applicant was older they would essentially focus on MCAT and perhaps not even look at GPA that much LOL!! I'm like what kind of system is that...

thats just goofy

Yep this is why I'm afraid of the WWAMI program since they do stuff like this..

I know, this is just a load of bull. It shows progress? What the hell, don't they know it's the junior year when we start taking difficult upper division biology courses? Washington shouldn't do it this way. I hope Wash is the only one that does this.

So damn true...I went 4.0 the first 2 years then got a B in one of my 400 level classes this semester...but thanks to their goofy grading scale it was like getting 12 credits of B's LOL!

**And good luck to your pats tomorrow I know its a big day**

http://uwmedicine.washington.edu/Education/MDProgram/Admissions/FAQ.htm

• What is a weighted GPA?
The undergraduate GPA is weighted to give credit to applicants whose records show improvement as they progress through their undergraduate studies. Only the first three years are included in this calculation as most applicants have just begun their senior year. The weighted GPA is calculated on a standard 4-point scale with 4.00 representing an "A" average.

CUM. FRESHMAN GPA X 1 = A A+B+C
CUM. SOPHOMORE GPA X 2 = B 6 = WEIGHTED GPA
CUM. JUNIOR GPA X 3 = C

Strong wtf

I'v actually heard of this from one Adcom.

They said that people say improvement is good because your junior/senior year grades have a larger impact on your application.

lame, i can tell you at my school it was MUCH harder freshman and sophmore year than junior year to get an A. Beginning courses here always give less than 15 percent of the class an A (11 percent for bio 1 and 2) while most advanced courses, they dont have to follow that rule and give mostly As and Bs.

lame, i can tell you at my school it was MUCH harder freshman and sophmore year than junior year to get an A. Beginning courses here always give less than 15 percent of the class an A (11 percent for bio 1 and 2) while most advanced courses, they dont have to follow that rule and give mostly As and Bs.

YEP exactly!!! My freshman chem was 300 kids...avg 59%...NO curve! I got an A in that **** and to have the UW adcoms basically say that grade is meaningless in comparison to my 89.4% B in biochem insults me...

Thanks man. I have my fingers crossed.:D

Pats win + either Jets or Ravens loss = GG!

I honestly like the pats more now due to Matt Cassel lol! Saints fan here haha all I have tomorrow is rooting for Brees to break the passing record :D

Freshman year GPA = 1/6
Soph GPA = 2/6
Junior GPA = 3/6

Makes me wonder why they don't reduce "2/6" to 1/3 and "3/6" to 1/2. I guess they don't simplify fractions in during the 3 years of college...

Pats win + either Jets or Ravens loss = GG!

I honestly like the pats more now due to Matt Cassel lol! Saints fan here haha all I have tomorrow is rooting for Brees to break the passing record :D

Urg, none of our wishes came true.:mad:
That last play in the Saints game was ridiculous. He just needed 16 yards and what the hell were they thinking?