Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Do most schools send out secondaries?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by coolkid311, Aug 17, 2015.

1. coolkid311

Pre-Medical
    I'm getting secondaries from a lot of schools I thought were reach schools. My MCAT is 3-5 points below their average and my GPA is .2-.3 below their average. Do most schools sends secondaries to everyone for extra cash or is there a screening process before.

2. medhopeful82

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    MSAR will tell you each schools method, but the majority of them send secondaries to everyone

3. gonnif

gonnif Only 695 Days Until Next Presidential Election
    Lifetime Donor Verified Account 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Many do. The pre-secondary screening process varies widely across schools

Most Common

1)Some get your contact info only from AMCAS and send out secondaries unscreened prior to primary application or verified
    2)Some send out secondaries unscreened when they receive transmitted primary app from AMCAS
    3)Some do a preliminary basic screen with a predetermined MCAT/GPA "forumla". This could simply mean they look at "outstanding" candidates first before sending secondaries to the next batch.

Less Common
    4)Some do a full review of primary before sending out secondaries to candidates it has voted on
    5)Extending the above, some send secondaries out only to those it will invite to interview.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. UNMedGa

UNMedGa No time, busy doctor!
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Most schools send most of their students secondaries. More $$ that way. Some schools (such as UCSF as I've heard) only send secondaries to a smaller proportion of their applicants whom they're more likely to interview.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I consider most secondaries to be a tax on the hopelessly optimistic, if not pathologically naive.

6. teeayejay

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    A tax that I would gladly pay to open up a door somewhere lol. At this point in the admissions process, all I have it hope.

7. GapingBagina

GapingBagina Account on Hold
    Account on Hold

I shotgunned my application and got into a public school in a state I have no ties to. <10% OOS matriculation. Turned out it would my only acceptance. Why they accepted me I have no idea and don't care to know.

Just do whatever you feel is right. Can't predict the future.

#7 GapingBagina, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    ChrisMack390 likes this.
  8. ChrisMack390

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    @GapingBagina there is a tendency for SDNers to see "10%" and read "0%".

10% of a class is 5 - 25 people depending on the school.

GapingBagina likes this.
  9. GapingBagina

GapingBagina Account on Hold
    Account on Hold

Understandable though, I'm sure for most, the availability of resources can make that 10% look like 0%. I took a loan for my app year. Didn't want to self select myself out by making cost a limiting factor. I got lucky.

#9 GapingBagina, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    ChrisMack390 likes this.