Aug 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm getting secondaries from a lot of schools I thought were reach schools. My MCAT is 3-5 points below their average and my GPA is .2-.3 below their average. Do most schools sends secondaries to everyone for extra cash or is there a screening process before.

medhopeful82

2+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2015
Status
Medical Student
MSAR will tell you each schools method, but the majority of them send secondaries to everyone

gonnif

Only 182 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
I'm getting secondaries from a lot of schools I thought were reach schools. My MCAT is 3-5 points below their average and my GPA is .2-.3 below their average. Do most schools sends secondaries to everyone for extra cash or is there a screening process before.
Many do. The pre-secondary screening process varies widely across schools

Most Common

1)Some get your contact info only from AMCAS and send out secondaries unscreened prior to primary application or verified
2)Some send out secondaries unscreened when they receive transmitted primary app from AMCAS
3)Some do a preliminary basic screen with a predetermined MCAT/GPA "forumla". This could simply mean they look at "outstanding" candidates first before sending secondaries to the next batch.

Less Common
4)Some do a full review of primary before sending out secondaries to candidates it has voted on
5)Extending the above, some send secondaries out only to those it will invite to interview.

About the Ads

UNMedGa

Newbie!
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2015
Capital of Passive-Aggression
Status
Medical Student
Most schools send most of their students secondaries. More $$ that way. Some schools (such as UCSF as I've heard) only send secondaries to a smaller proportion of their applicants whom they're more likely to interview.

Goro

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I consider most secondaries to be a tax on the hopelessly optimistic, if not pathologically naive.

takeurmeds02

5+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I consider most secondaries to be a tax on the hopelessly optimistic, if not pathologically naive.
A tax that I would gladly pay to open up a door somewhere lol. At this point in the admissions process, all I have it hope.

GapingBagina

Account on Hold
Account on Hold
Aug 18, 2015
I shotgunned my application and got into a public school in a state I have no ties to. <10% OOS matriculation. Turned out it would my only acceptance. Why they accepted me I have no idea and don't care to know.

Just do whatever you feel is right. Can't predict the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChrisMack390

GapingBagina

Account on Hold
Account on Hold
Aug 18, 2015
@GapingBagina there is a tendency for SDNers to see "10%" and read "0%".

10% of a class is 5 - 25 people depending on the school.
Understandable though, I'm sure for most, the availability of resources can make that 10% look like 0%. I took a loan for my app year. Didn't want to self select myself out by making cost a limiting factor. I got lucky.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChrisMack390
About the Ads