Do most schools work this way?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

btpayne13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I visited University of Iowa yesterday, and they briefly explained that their GPA system works by an A- = 3.7 (approximately, I can't remember what it was exactly), an A = 4.0, and sometimes an A+ = 4.0+. Do most undergraduate universities work this way, by assessing GPA scores of less than 4.0 with A-'s? I know some high schools work this way (usually private high schools), but do most colleges use this system for determining GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

I visited University of Iowa yesterday, and they briefly explained that their GPA system works by an A- = 3.7 (approximately, I can't remember what it was exactly), an A = 4.0, and sometimes an A+ = 4.0+. Do most undergraduate universities work this way, by assessing GPA scores of less than 4.0 with A-'s? I know some high schools work this way (usually private high schools), but do most colleges use this system for determining GPA?

Some do, some don't, it really varies from school to school. Oklahoma is 100-90 = 4.0, 89.9-80=3.0, etc...

Looks like I'm going to the wrong school grade-wise lol

Members don't see this ad :)
My undergrad recently switched from the A-F scale to the one with pluses and minuses. The minuses make it a pain, especially because it's harder to keep the real A and get the 4.0. But the pluses help balance that out so I guess it's okay. I think it's a better representation of standing in a class anyway.

My undergrad uses that system. I really like it. It forces me to accept the fact that every point is important. It does make it a little bit harder to get the A, though.

With talking to my friends from other schools, I get the feeling that more schools use the other system (100 - 90 = A, 89 - 80 = B, 79 - 70 = C, etc.)

I honestly think a 4.0 should represent all A's (A- to A+).

My school has the plus system also. A 95+ A-90-94.9 etc. I really don't like it but every school here in Colorado has it set up that way, unless the professor grades on the 90-100 A. Most professors I have had and talked to all use the plus and minus scale. Not something I like but I guess I will just have to get over it.

Does anyone know if when medical school calculate you GPA, do they do it with a plus/minus scale or do they calculate that a 4.0 is an A (90-100)?

My school has the plus system also. A 95+ A-90-94.9 etc. I really don't like it but every school here in Colorado has it set up that way, unless the professor grades on the 90-100 A. Most professors I have had and talked to all use the plus and minus scale. Not something I like but I guess I will just have to get over it.

Does anyone know if when medical school calculate you GPA, do they do it with a plus/minus scale or do they calculate that a 4.0 is an A (90-100)?
AMCAS keeps your grades however your school does your grades, as far as I know.

The Texas system does it differently (any A is a 4.0, any B is a 3.0, etc)

We also use the fractional grading system. A lot of people really hate it, but I think it's a good representation of what grade you're really getting. I don't think it's fair that a 100 and a 90 get the same letter grade.

We also use +/- system except if you get an A+ it's still a 4.0 which is so lame....A+ should be like 4.3 :laugh:

We also use the fractional grading system. A lot of people really hate it, but I think it's a good representation of what grade you're really getting. I don't think it's fair that a 100 and a 90 get the same letter grade.

Often times on tests the difference between a 100 and a 90 isn't a significant (P<.01 *jk*) difference in knowledge but either misreading the questions or not understanding what the professor exactly wants in a response. It can be quite arbitrary.

All in all, a +/- system will help those who find that they continually fall just below a score of 90, while a sold A B ect... scale will benefit those who more often than not just barely fall into the A region. For people in the 100-95 range, i would think a solid scale would still be preferred since it allows for time to slack off without having to worry too much, but that's just me.