DO/MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Strudel19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I hope you've all had a good start to the semester or if you're about to start, good luck!

How receptive are DO schools towards permitting a student to take a year off during medical school to get an MPH from an off-campus school?

Members don't see this ad.

Im assuming you'd be attending a dual degree program in which case there would be time allotted for you to do your MPH coursework.

Edit : dual, not duel XD

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi folks,

I hope you've all had a good start to the semester or if you're about to start, good luck!

How receptive are DO schools towards permitting a student to take a year off during medical school to get an MPH from an off-campus school?
I think most (if not all) schools allow students to take a LOA for academic reasons like a year of research or a dual degree. However, unless you are attending a school that does not offer an MPH or you were rejected from the MPH program, I don't know if the school will be receptive to the idea.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
MSUCOM has a duel DO/MPH, however MSU's Public Health school isn't very well-known and the program is online.

I would think they are pretty receptive to the idea and some integrate it into their curriculum. However, I suggest you do the MPH after you get in to medical school and finish residency. You don't know what you want to do in the future, since this will be 8-10 years down the line. If you still decide to do an MPH, you can pursue it as a doctor or during fellowship (occupational/preventative care, some programs will even pay for it). I had taken public health classes with two physicians trying to get their MPHs. So don't worry about it till later.

Reactions: 1 user
I would advise you to focus on your DO for now. You can always come back to an MPH. Just out of curiosity, what do you hope to get out of an MPH? Would it be just another degree on your belt or do you actually plan on utilizing concepts taught in an MPH? Do you plan on practicing in primary care?

I received an MPH 2 years ago and have worked in the field. It can be a very useful degree for physicians IF they actually plan on utilizing it. Otherwise, it might be a waste of time/money.