NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2001
Cali
How do DO neurosurgery residency programs compare to MD programs? Is the training equivalent as in what the residents can do once they compelete the programs?

I think they re was a thread somewhere about this and one person who was doing a DO neurosurg. residency felt like themselves and the other people in their program were far behind and were less able to many of the things that MD residents were able to do. They compared their 5 year residents to 3 year residents of MD programs in capabilities.

Any thoughts or observations?

HazCoffee

10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2005
Status
NRAI2001 said:
How do DO neurosurgery residency programs compare to MD programs? Is the training equivalent as in what the residents can do once they compelete the programs?

I think they re was a thread somewhere about this and one person who was doing a DO neurosurg. residency felt like themselves and the other people in their program were far behind and were less able to many of the things that MD residents were able to do. They compared their 5 year residents to 3 year residents of MD programs in capabilities.

Any thoughts or observations?
I didn't know DO's did NS residencies. Do you have any more details about which programs these are? I don't know much about DO at all and would be interested in hearing more.

bustbones26

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Their are currently nine DO NS residencies and you can learn all about them at do-online.org

that dr. jack

Captain Bringdown
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2003
i'm on yur floor, runnin yur list
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i'm interested in neurosurg and as a DO, i was getting kinda scared about some of the things i'd heard about DO programs in surgical subspecialties. but i think you can usually get a good idea of how the programs are if you can talk to a resident while they're not at the hospital.

i go to COMP and was able to talk to a neurosurg resident from our program, which is based mostly at arrowhead medical center. this is the county hospital for san bernardino, and they also train at the riverside county hospital and kaiser in fontana.

he said it's a great program, with a large volume, lots of diverse cases and friendly people. it's relatively new, so they have only graduated one resident, who passed his boards just fine. interestingly enough, it is headed by an MD, which is a first in a DO program. you can take that to mean whatever you'd like, but he is apparently a superlative program director and they expect big things to come out of this program. overall the resident was very happy and encouraged us to rotate there. he said they all work very hard, which is not surprising, but everyone puts in their fair share and it's not malignant at all. he's going on to do a skull-based fellowship, and said doing an allo fellowship is no problem.

they also have 3 female residents out of 9, which made me happy, being a girl and all. that's the highest proportion of women in a neurosurg program i've heard about. it says a lot about this program hopefully not seeing women as just potential baby-makers or too weak to be neurosurgeons.

hope this helps.